iMac & Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .michael, Nov 7, 2007.

1. .michael macrumors regular

I am getting 1 20in iMac 2.4GHz in early December. I am curious; by the time Dec. 1, do you think Leopard will be pre-installed or will I have to intall it myself?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'd say likely, it'll be pre-installed by then. But I don't know how many units with Tiger Apple had sitting in warehouses. Something tells me not enough to hold over a month, with the busiest shopping season.

Even if I did, all my gripes with Leopard aside - the install was very straight-forward, and easy.

3. .michael thread starter macrumors regular

So you don't like Leopard? I'm a new time mac person, this is my first one I'm buying.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Not as much as I liked Tiger - but trust me, even with my issues with Leopard, it's worlds apart from PC. Most of my issues are cosmetic, and habit-based. As a newcomer, these likely won't even phase you.

General consensus is, most of the issues us Tiger folk have migrating, will be resolved within a revision or two. (10.5.2 or 10.5.3)

Honestly - I used Apples WAAAAY back in 92, did genuinely like it, but left because "everyone else" was using PCs.

After using PCs, knowing how to wipe, format, install, reg edit, update and roll back drivers in my sleep from doing it so much, I realized I was losing valuable time.

My PC died (physically), and out of desperation I went to the first computer store near me - they happened to have Apples. I had no interest, but figured I'd look at one considering I drove there. Walked out with an Imac 20 minutes later.

For almost 2 years, I haven't had to wipe my drive or OS between 2 Imacs, haven't spent a cent on Antivirus / Firewall / Spyware or "Speed Optimizing" software.

I also run XP native in bootcamp (because plenty of apps I do need there), and in Parallels within OSX.

All in all, a positive experience. Just if you grab an Imac - I'd say opt for a decent video card, as the hard drive and ram can be upgraded fairly easily down the road - video not so much.

5. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

I got my new iMac on Tuesday. It had a drop in disk. No problems updating to Leopard. I transfered all my photos and music from CDs with zero problems. I am very impressed with my new iMac. BTW... the screen looks great and the glare is an non issue. Enjoy! M.C.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have been basically trouble free with Leopard i like it alot. Only few problems i have had are a couple 3rd party apps that have not been updated yet. The only two i can think of are httpmail, and adiums contact icons pixelating. But both these problems will be fixed shortly i am sure. And i can live without both.

7. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I'd say almost definitely
    I ordered my MacBook from the UK Store on the 2nd of Nov and it had it pre-installed.
    Its absolutely lovely
    I really love the UI and the new marquee features are actually really really useful, I love Spaces and TM
    You won't be disappointed
    Also this post highlights another wonderful feature, system wide spell checking, gotta love it ;)

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

That was in 10.4 too but its great.