Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ag55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
So my iMac will be here very soon. Im not waiting for the rumored refreshes this fall as i dont think they will be a big enough reason for me to wait.

Anyway, my Mac is the top spec iMac with everything standard expect the GPU which is the ATI Radeon HD instead of the Nvidia Geforce.

How long do you think this will last me? Everything moves on so quick, so when do you think my iMac just wont be able cut it? My old Dell 9200 lasted me 4 years (2.4Ghz, 320GB HDD, Geforce 7900s). But its too slow to edit HD video now. So when will the Mac succumb to this.

rich2k4

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2009
heh, i'm still running a pentium 3 800 mhz 384 mb ram computer. it has gone through windows millenium edition, XP, and is now running linux. It has been my main computer for 9 years.

your old dell would probably last me another 9 years or more.

it all depends on what you use a computer for, if all you do is basic tasks, you can use the same computer for a looong looong time.

ag55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
heh, i'm still running a pentium 3 800 mhz 384 mb ram computer. it has gone through windows millenium edition, XP, and is now running linux. It has been my main computer for 9 years.

your old dell would probably last me another 9 years or more.

it all depends on what you use a computer for, if all you do is basic tasks, you can use the same computer for a looong looong time.

wow nice. your needs are way different to mine then. im getting the imac for photo and hd video editing which my dell couldnt handle.

Jabbamk1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
London, England
I'm almost two years into my iMac and it still works as well as it did the day I got it.

same, i plan to keep it for another 3 maybe 4 years. I have a new Packard Bell iMax (in sig) which i use for work currently as well as FC on the iMac. I always keep my computers till they cannot be used or fixed. I am still using my old celeron desktop (2.6GHz,512mb,40GB HD,XP Home) for light surfing and it works fine.

However from next year i will need a better computer for Heavy video editing/graphics editing so i might be selling my iMac or iMax:D early. But i would definatly keep them for another 4 years min if i could. It depends what you use it for. In 4 years i would probably be forced to buy a new pc for work but i would still use the other pc's as a secondary pc like i do with my celeron desktop.

I think yours would last a good 3 years. It will run quite well for two years but as you update the editing software it may not run well then and it will start being quite painful to edit a 10 min clip or something. my iMac cant run iLife 09 in full screen or cut clips without pausing for a few precious seconds even though it ran iLife HD perfectly when it came out.

Hassy500

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
Southeast US
Speaking of oldies, I still have a PII 450 MHz used for light lifting here and use a Pentium Mobile 1.6 Ghz HP Pavilion notebook (albeit with a new HD) at work.

I've got a couple of friends still using G5's for regular duty and a slew of folks with white iMacs who swear by them.

You may find the old adage "You get what you pay for" applicable here. Good, high-quality hardware, mixed with proprietary software, yields a nice package. I've had my iMac, bought NOS in 2008, and have not restarted it (excepting updates) for a looong time.

The entire package (hardware and software) feels well thought-out, which is a nice change from the norm :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.