iMac line a health hazard !?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by carlostsr, Aug 10, 2007.

1. carlostsr macrumors newbie

I do believe it is rather a matter of hypocrisy to try to find beautiful, nice, whatever Apple produce. It can really happen that the desing of their product not to be that nice and good. I think it is not normal to try to like something just because you pay for it and because it has the Apple label on it. Glossy and this very glare is not nice, it is a health-hazard, from my point of view. It is up to "you" to buy it, but if you would later have eyes problem, you should just stop lamenting and acusing Apple, as they have given you the best.

Should Apple take care about us too, and the recycling aspect also?
    Are these two factors important at all? :confused:

Glare and glossy displays are a serious source of concern regarding the eye health.I read several medical articles regarding human health on the work place and what I have found is disturbing. The new iMac has a problem, a serious one, it is glossy and it is a health hazard. Putting it seriously.
    Let's skip the discussion about how nice and trendy is the new iMac and let's ask Apple how healthy is the new product for your eyes, four our children eyes.
    We have here a serious problem in terms of health, not in term of design anymore.
    I know that the majority will laugh about my concerns and that they will say they are not interested about it ... but once the eye problems start, and the frequency of visits to the optician increases, the laugh will certainly fade away when it would be too late.

My advice :
    People, we've got just one pair of eyes. do not play with them! you cannot find another one as spare parts...lololol :apple:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Were it not for the fact that literally millions (billions?) of people have grown up watching reflective CRTs for television and also many have sat in front of CRT computer displays programming for hours, day after day, on them, and yet still have good vision, you might have more of a point.

3. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

4. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I like how you brought "thinking about my children" into the equation. It almost made me take you seriously.

5. macjay macrumors 6502

How do you define "good vision?"

At the D5 digital conference interview with Gates and Jobs, all four participants (the two "tech" interviewers and the interviewees) were wearing glasses.

No offense to those using glossy screens, but I think carlostsr makes a good point. I also think about wi-fi pollution and laptop EMFs, but not everyone cares to think about these issues nor take them seriously (which is their prerogative).

6. zflauaus macrumors 65816

You also have to take into mind that they were born in an era where not that much was known about eye health and so people basically did what they want.

And WiFI pollution? EMF's emitted from laptops? What about those cordless phones we have, none the less cell phones? Come on...

7. jesteraver macrumors 6502

We can wait for Minority Report to actually happen, get a new pair of eye balls :D

8. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I'll go wrap myself in tin foil and cotton wool and wear one of those welding masks so I'm not exposed to any of these dangers you speak of.

9. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I have my computer sitting in a concrete bombshell wrapped in tin foil I never connect it to the Internet and its not even plugged in. But wouldn't you know it? The FBI still looks at my vacation pictures. I wish computers were more secure. :(:(:(:(:(

10. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Well they WOULDN'T be able to if you remembered to fashion and donn your tin foil helmet!!!

11. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Please just shoot me in the head....... I want the last 2 min of my life back.....

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You have to wonder if they were using glasses before they'd ever used a computer.

How many studious people are near-sighted? I think it's higher than the general population. Thanks to contact lenses, it seems to be less noticeable now.

I don't see any display as being better for you, but LCDs are certainly easier to read than CRTs with a slow refresh rate. I worked on several CRT terminals from ADM3a to IBM 3180 models and the level of hazard is relative to the time.

For that matter, people still smoke cigarettes and those don't do anything good for your health.

13. macjay macrumors 6502

14. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I can't believe this was posted :rolleyes:

I'm curious though, how is a glossy screen a health hazard (I'm not saying you're wrong...but where are these medical articles you speak of?)

15. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I think the glare on the display is the least of your issues. Imagine if you dropped the iMac on your feet while you were re-locating it! It'd crush your feet! Boycott the iMac!! It's a health hazard!!!!

16. emoore macrumors regular

You might want to show some proof before you call something a truth.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can you provide any references regarding the long-term consequences of glare light?

18. macjay macrumors 6502

Just like global warming?

Both "glare on the computer screen" and "poor contrast between text and background on the monitor" are according to Apple two causes of eye strain (http://www.apple.com/about/ergonomics/vision.html).

Glossy screens have significantly more glare than matte and would obviosuly exacerbate those two issues. Therefore we may conclude that glossy screens cause more eye strain than matte screens.

BTW my comment had actually been directed at zflauaus' post, and I should have quoted it.

19. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

This post is not making any sense, and the OP seems ill informed at best.

20. theman macrumors 6502a

I am one of the few who *still* has not upgraded to an LCD yet, and I must say, I have never noticed a difference between my Trinitron and my matte laptop LCD. I am on there 12 hours a day, and I have had no eye problems, no strain, headaches, or any other issues. I have never seen glare. It is facing a window too. When it is off, you can see some glare though.

However, I may be concerned about the ahh, radiation? Is that what it's called? My brain tumor is acting up again... :p

21. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I wear glasses, but I had them years before I spent more than a hour at a time (once every week no less) in front of a computer. Also spent far more time outdoors than watching TV. Also, I only visit the eye doctor once every two years, and my eyes have been getting better ever since I first got glasses.

Now who else wants to throw in anecdotal evidence?

22. Chuckypool macrumors member

If you're that worried about the health impacts then just don't buy one.

I find the glare helps get rid of that pasty look you get from sitting in front of a computer all day :D