iMac line refresh anytime soon..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LarsChristensen, Mar 4, 2015.

1. LarsChristensen macrumors newbie

Hi there.

Im about to order a new iMac 27" top spec, not 5K. Do you guys think that an update/refresh is on the way anytime soon? It looks like it hasnt been refreshed since late 2013, so it could be anytime soon?

Best regards

Lars Christensen

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The late 2013 non-retina is unlikely to receive any more updates. The 5K Retina will likely receive Skylake processors and a price drop sometime around the Fall.

3. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Lars. Go see a retina screen in person and make sure you don't want the 5k. Read a paper on it. Take your time. Think about it. You'll regret that more than missing GHz.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Sorry Lars but no-one and I mean no-one with the exception of Apple knows the answer to your question. They are having an even March 9th that is focused on the Apple Watch however one never if other products will be discussed. My recommendation is to wait until after that event and see if any updates were announced.

5. LarsChristensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Im totally in love with the 5K, but the more reviews i see, the bigger doubt i get. It seems like it could have a serious graphic problem. Some even tells that they are experiencing flicker/lags when even swipping through desktops. So i thought that if i am going for the good old 2.5K screen, i wouldnt get these graphic issues.

My son should be able to play some 3D games and i am using it to draw in autodesk inventor "3D graphic". I have done so without any trouble on my mid 2010 27" i7 iMac. But i want to step up and try a new one with SSD. To get a speed boost. But graphic lacking, is not a thing that i want to experience.

Thats why im going for the older iMac.

Lars

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Going to a help sight like this one is like going to the hospital to see how the overall populations health is. Totally dump idea. Most happy users never post, the 5K is an extremely nice machine, however like every machine ever made there will be some that have problems.

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If you're concerned, simply upgrade to the M295X GPU. This should fix the problems with lag.

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

R9 M295X owner;
    Not always. For the most part, I love this machine incredibly much, but 5120x2880 is a lot of pixels. If you ask the PC world what they think of the idea of running a display with a resolution that high on a GPU equivalent to the R9 285, they'd call you crazy. That said, it runs really well... For the most part. If you don't go mental in the options menu, all games run and so on, but lag when swiping between desktops, while doing GPU background work does occur. There's also a very real heat "maybe"-issue. This is only when the GPU is under constant high pressure however. And I don't think it's as bad as it may seem.

To you Lars, I'll say this. I think it's a bit dum to get the old machine now. Contrary to what some believe, I'm expecting the non-retina to get a final boost before dying to the retinas, and I'm expecting this to happen around the time the 21.5-inch retina comes to market. I'm thinking WWDC-Fall. Now it sounds like waiting wouldn't be that big of a problem for you, what with your current iMac working fine. If you like the retina however, the upgraded 27-inch Retina that will come sooner or later may also be a brilliant path to go. A generation from now, a lot will probably happen in terms of GPUs running ultra high-res displays, and we may see much better responsiveness. Again, it's not bad as it is, but minor infrequent stutters aren't unheard of.
    Also, if what you're really after is SSD speed, and not much else, you could always look at RAIDing some external drives.

9. cynics macrumors G4

You'll experience better performance with a 5k iMac (m295x) at 2560x1440 then a 2013 iMac (780m) at the same resolution. The difference is the 2013 is incapable of higher resolutions.

Just because the 5k is capable of 5k resolutions doesn't mean you need to run it maxed out all the time. If I was serious about 3D gaming on an iMac I would go for a 5k iMac and play on a reduced resolution as you'll tend to see better FPS. The 2013 model maxes out at 2560x1440 so what do you have to lose (aside from money)?

Comparatively speaking, I see consistently 20-30 FPS more playing WoW on my work iMac (m295x) then my personal iMac (775m) at 2560x1440. Sometimes its much higher but at a glance its 20-30 FPS higher fairly consistently. A side note though is its much noisier because the GPU is hotter and the fan is running faster.

EDIT: To answer your original question I feel the current 2013 line will sit stagnant for a while then be replaced by the 5k line. No sources or anything on that just a gut feeling.

10. robgendreau macrumors 68040

If I was serious about gaming I'd get a console or build a PC myself, or even a hackintosh. But cynics is right: you don't have to do retina for everything. I haven't run into most of the problems people sometimes groan about, and I do a lot of Lightroom image work. I'd MUCH rather have the excellent visual display and put up with a few very minor issues than stare at an inferior screen without those issues. You look at the screen almost all the time you use your computer; the supposed issues only crop up very occasionally.

Consider: would you buy a mobile device with a non retina screen (assuming you even could)?

11. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

Broadwell-K processors (the type needed for the iMac) aren't expected until the second half of 2015, so we wouldn't see an iMac update until probably July or August at the very earliest (though they may make an announcement at WWDC in June). But the real question lies with Skylake. We know from Intel that the Skylake series will also be released in the second half of 2015, but what we don't know is which class of processors will come out when. They are likely to start with the Core M, like they did with Broadwell, but whether Skylake-K be out this year, or next is anybody's guess.

However, if Apple are able to get some inside info regarding release dates, and those dates say that Skylark-K will be out before the end of 2015, then Apple may decide to forego the Broadwell update cycle for iMac altogether and simply do a jump to Skylake at the end of the year.

As far as architectures go, Broadwell is a small update from Haswell (a die-shrink from 22nm to 14nm), and will only see moderate performance enhancement. But the update from Broadwell (tick) to Skylake (tock) involves an entirely new micro-architecture, and performance increases will be far more significant.

12. LarsChristensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

Thanks for all youre replies. Really appreciate it.
    You have a point in turning down the resolution on the 5K and this in mind i think i will go for the 5K over the 2.5K iMac. That is if nothing happends regarding the iMac's at the apple event this monday.

Best regards

Lars

13. alexxk macrumors 6502

I have also been thinking about buying an iMac.. mainly for photo editing..

I would like to get the 5K, but I would only be able to afford the basic version and I've been hearing also about this sluggish with the system sometimes.. even with preview

The non-retina was last refreshed in 2003.. which is wow!! quite sometime..

I'm going to wait longer to see what happens in the next few month!!

Might get it later this year!!

14. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

No sluggishness in my retina imac. What it has done is ruined any chance of looking at a non retinal imac again. After using the 5k, the normal imac looks bloody awful. Just sayin...

15. kepler20b macrumors 6502

Although it is very likely that apple will wait for sky lake in q3/4 to update the imac, it is not clear to me that the update will also come with a updated video card from either amd or nvidia

16. loteq macrumors newbie

loteq

I bought 2 refurb 5k base units. Upgraded both to 24GB of ram. I notice the same issues many have reported, in terms of mission control etc. It seems to me that there is a software issue there, and yosemite needs some graphics tweaks to optimize it. Hopefully those are coming.

What I will say is that Im pretty sensitive to performance issues. I work fast and I like/require a very smooth machine. The base 5k, is not smooth, and there a lot more "freezes" for performance related things, even with the extra ram. While I pissed that this machine feels slower than my previous core i7, There is no way I would go back to a non retina screen. Its just a zillion times better. The base unit is still faster on paper than my old i7.

I bought the base refurbs because they were 100 bucks more than a comparable i7 from last year, and Im glad I did. I could have spent another 800 odd dollars on the i7 with the bigger graphcis card, but I honestly dont think that will make the difference I would be looking for.

When the next 5k unit comes out, ill spring for the high end version of that assuming the graphics card is a monster. If not I may wait until that happens, but I cannot recommend the 5k enough.

If you do video for a living I think still worth it, because of the realestate and 4k options, but go for an ssd and max out the machine to minimize issues.

if you are on the fence about high end i7 or base 5k, go with base 5k. It might piss you off a bit here and there, but its such a next level experience to go to 5k youll be glad you did and the small issues wont bug you that much. Like I said though ill probably sell my retina in a few months and pick up the new one. resale on a retina will be higher I think than on the old display units.

17. dondon4720 macrumors member

I too am waiting for the next retina refresh, hopefully with Nvidia Cards :) 980mx would be awesome