iMac loads web pages very very slowly???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jaythered, Aug 19, 2010.

1. jaythered macrumors newbie

I bought my first computer an iMac about six months ago and I loved it...at first. Now it seems to load so slowly that I regret getting it...it is SO aggravating! Anyway I have the FastAccess DSL Xtreme 6.0 w/ AT&T, called them and we checked the speed of connectivity...it was well within the proper parameters. I thought maybe it had started when school was out and all the neighborhood kids were on at the same time...so I tried it at the wee AM hours...same problem.

I use Safari as the browser and Google classic as my search engine. So say I go to a bookmark or a link on a page and click it, it seems to load too slowly. The url address appears and as it loads the address begins to "go blue" from left to right. Well it always seems to bog down shortly after scrolling across. You see the little wheel spinning and spinning. Often, all TOO often, I will have to click the spinning wheel in the right side of the URL address pane to completely stop it and try again, sometimes it then loads quickly and sometimes not.

Should I have to be waiting and waiting for a website to load like that??

HELP!! I'm at wit's end. And no, I am not running any applications or things at the same time. Nor do I have a lot of stuff on my computer. It is like 98% memory free and the only thing that takes up space is a couple K songs in iTunes.

2. shwc macrumors regular

in all likelihood the default DNS server is slow or outdated.

Change the DNS settings on your computer and on your router.

see this thread

3. MacinDan macrumors regular

My brother had this problem. It went away after he trashed ~/Library/Safari/WebpageIcons.db