iMac Logic board repair x3 - Applecare refund??

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
12,045
6
The Kop
Long story short, my iMac is now in for the third logic board replacement ( a day and a half after i got it back from repair.)

I am looking for definitive information about the terms and conditions of applecare, as ideally i would like a refund so i can change to a MBP but i cant seem to find the terms and conditions anywhere.

So if someone could point to the t&c's that would be great.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
according to most lemon laws, they can replace your machine with a new one, but not refund your money. i believe so at least.
 

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
649
0
Earth
True, on the third UNSUCCESSFUL repair for the SAME REASON, you can get a new product. So if the iMac is still screwed up after this, you're eligible.

And they do give a new product, not a refund, but I don't know if there's anything stopping you from returning it then and there for a full refund with the box still sealed. I don't know if that works though.
 

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
2,384
0
VA
thegreatluke said:
And they do give a new product, not a refund, but I don't know if there's anything stopping you from returning it then and there for a full refund with the box still sealed. I don't know if that works though.
That's not how it works. A replacement is considered a service part, which is not returnable for refund.

To the OP, there's no way you're getting any money back from Apple. You'll need to sell it on your own if you want cash.
 

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
2,480
1
NZ
I am on the same deal. My iMac has had two logic board replacements and the fault is still not fixed. I will call Apple Australia Support in a week or two and if I can't get a new Mac out of them, will take it back into Apple in NZ.

I'm just waiting a week or two so that if they do replace it, they will only have the Merom iMacs and won't fling me a Yonah model...

(fingers crossed)
 

Sobering

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
233
0
Canada
pknz said:
I am on the same deal. My iMac has had two logic board replacements and the fault is still not fixed. I will call Apple Australia Support in a week or two and if I can't get a new Mac out of them, will take it back into Apple in NZ.

I'm just waiting a week or two so that if they do replace it, they will only have the Merom iMacs and won't fling me a Yonah model...

(fingers crossed)
They have plenty of old stock to give you. You really don't have a chance of getting a Merom.
 

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
181
0
My iMac 17inch G5 (bought in Nov. 2005) has also had the logic board replaced three times, as well as a bunch of other parts, and still died. They are replacing the computer with one of the new core 2 duos. You just have to keep bugging them, be firm yet polite. I didn't ask for one of the new ones or a refund, just a replacement computer since it was obviously never going to get fixed right.
 

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
12,045
6
The Kop
Update

I called Applecare today after getting my machine back and the problem being worse than before.

Explained the issues i have had with the machine. All very polite, the tech offered a refund straight away. Had to be on hold for an hour and 40 mins but they have confirmed i am getting a refund for the full amount i paid. It also seems the are refunding the applecare.

I didnt even suggest a refund or replacement.

Rich


Edit: This is in the UK
 

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
1,950
99
Planet Zebes
Both times I have had a Mac replaced d/t too many repairs I have received a new upgraded Mac. Call Apple Customer Relations and let them know the problem. Explain to them (politely) the trouble you've gone through and the amount of money you spent on this product. When doing this in the past they have then offered me a free replacement with a new machine that is of "equal value" - which they considered the closest value machine with similar specs that they sell "new" - not refurbished.
 

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
4,352
1
xUKHCx said:
I called Applecare today after getting my machine back and the problem being worse than before.

Explained the issues i have had with the machine. All very polite, the tech offered a refund straight away. Had to be on hold for an hour and 40 mins but they have confirmed i am getting a refund for the full amount i paid. It also seems the are refunding the applecare.

I didnt even suggest a refund or replacement.

Rich
Glad to hear it... the lemon laws in some states say that products which are repaired three times for related troubles are to be replaced with new OR refunded at the customers discretion, so I'm not TOO surprised that Apple did this for you. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had tried to give you store credit or something, but good to hear it sounds like you're getting a check!
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,551
1,186
Good to hear. Well, the ending was good to hear anyway :)

Apple DOES sometimes do MORE than they are required to by law. I have benefited from this by getting some minor repair (hinges) done that was technically not covered by warranty. I didn't ask to have it done, but they noticed and gave me a whole new outer case for my PowerBook G3. It was like having a new computer. (Especially since the insides that they WERE supposed to repair got a free upgrade in the process!)