iMac losing wifi connection

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zalle, Mar 20, 2013.

1. zalle macrumors member

Hi guys,

My iMac (Mountain Lion now) keeps loosing wifi connection. Suddenly it's just like it's switched off. I can switch it off/on to no effect. I have to reboot to get it working again.

It also happens in Windows7 (bootcamp).

I'm writing from my 150€ laptop that never loses wifi.

I've read dozens of topics on the subject, but there are so many possible solutions that I don't know where to start. Can I please get some help?

Thanks

2. bill phillips macrumors regular

actually just had the same problem with my airport extreme...its super annoying, i would have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to reset then it would go on again...reset your router and reprogram it, thats what i did and you should be good to go...hasnt disconnected since, also theres a new update out for mountain lion just the other day, so make sure you check your software update and install it, that could also be causing a problem

3. Raima macrumors 6502

4. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I'm actually experiencing the same thing after the latest update

5. Sophia. macrumors member

Sophia.

My Mac mini also has a similar problem. It's connected to the network but then drops it's connection. It just refuses to find the correct network during the scan. MBP and MP see the network with no problems and have no problems staying connected. :confused:

6. Muzz112 macrumors member

I had the same problem with my current 2012 iMac connecting to my AirPort Extreme. I also had the same problem 4 years ago with my previous iMac and a BT Home Hub (UK Router).

I found that if I changed the settings on my router to a specific channel rather than automatic, the problem goes away! I found that on a 2,4GHz network channel 10 seems to be fine.

Give it a go, hope it works for you like it has for me!

7. Serban Suspended

Tell us please if changing or resetting the router have resolved your wifi problem

8. trustever macrumors 6502

I have update to 10.8.3 last night crossing finger and before going to bed so I could not have extensively checked but I have read in the forum that few people have been experiencing the same after the upgrade.

See if resetting your IP does sort the problem permantely and please report it here..

9. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

Which iMac version is this?

10. bill phillips macrumors regular

guys i fixed mine, i use an airport extreme, idk what the rest of you are using for wifi but all i did was just reset the airport extreme.....press and hold the reset button on the back of the airport until the light flashes and turned orange, open up utilities/airport utilities/ click other airport basestations and wait for yours to appear/setup as you did when you first installed it....this fixed mine, idk why, maybe sometimes they need a good reset, but havent had the problem since, it was dropping every half hour before i reset it

11. zalle thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

My iMac just updated itself for the new OS X update.

I did the following: In OS X I changed MTU to 1400, and in windows I changed the wifi to 802.11b/g

Not sure if it's good yet, but it is working now.

I think using a manual IP could also be a solution, but not into it yet.