iMac low color quality after self repair

Discussion in 'iMac' started by commac, Nov 1, 2013.

1. commac, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

commac macrumors regular

:mad:

I just opened up my old iMac to replace the optical drive and now my screen looks like this...

[​IMG]

Notice the low quality color.

I have reconnected the 4 inverter cables, the LCD fan sensor and the data cable.

The screenshots are perfectly clear indicating a LCD issue. Hopefully something silly.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help,.

2. josh.b macrumors regular

if it is still under warranty, put it back the way it was and take it into Apple and say WUTS WONG WITH MY MAC!!!!! I think that is the best solution anyway

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

You really think that that they won't know ? :confused:

OP, your LVDS cable might not be seated properly so I would reconnect that cable. If your screenshot is coming up properly, the issue is with the Display, LVDS Cable or logic board.

If I had to take a guess, you could have damaged the LVDS cable or the connector on the logic board side.

4. aznboi91 macrumors regular

Well no wonder people are having so many screen issues with iMac... They keep breaking them open and upgrading when it wasn't really intended to...

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

In other words, commit fraud? They will most certainly notice the OP has opened the machine. User damage is not covered by any warranty.

6. commac thread starter macrumors regular

I was able test another LVDS cable with no success. My theory now is that there was some static electricity damage to a chip on the LCD during teardown.
    I'll ask Apple what they suggest and what they can offer but it will likely not be worth the price. The imac is out of warranty. Maybe I can find a used working LCD on eBay.

7. iMacC2D, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. commac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info iMacC2D

In the end the problem wasnt even display related....

After the replacing the LCD with no results I swapped motherboard and voila.

Musta been the LVDS contact on the board or a short somewhere... A shame something probably small needed a full logic board replacement.

Hope the thread helps someone else one day.

9. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

How did you manage to get parts and fix it do fast? Did you get a quote from Apple as well?