iMac (low-end) vs. Macbook Pro (high-end)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jphillippe, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

I currently have an early 2011 high-end Macbook Pro 15.4 2.2 GHZ.
    I hate the battery on this laptop in comparison to my high end 2010 Macbook Pro and I'm no longer in need of portability since I use my iPad at school.

I use programs like Adobe Photoshop, Logic, and BootCamp for Windows..not a big gamer.

I'm in the need of a desktop, would buying a mid 2011 27" iMac 2.7 GHZ be a downgrade to my current machine?
    I'm getting a desktop regardless, but my main concern is whether this would be a slower machine then my current and if it would be necessary to get the high-end iMac to achieve the speed results I already have.

Thanks in advance

2. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Here is a comprehensive comparison of various models' speeds using Geekbench.

3. Jphillippe thread starter macrumors regular

Jphillippe

I'm not sure whether to take this serious considering that they list a high end Mac Mini outperforming a high end 27" iMac.

4. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

iMac = 11609, Mac Mini = 8573. Also keep in mind that it does not test the graphics card, and the HDD/SSD has a large influence on the results (I believe a test of the 27" 3.4 GHz iMac with SSD got the highest score they'd seen on a Mac, back when it was introduced in May).

Edit: that might also be the Mac Mini Server.

5. Jphillippe thread starter macrumors regular

Jphillippe

so in simpler terms..i'd be downgrading?

6. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

In terms of processor speed, it looks like it, unless you upgrade the processor to the i7 for an extra $200. This also depends on how multi-threaded a task is, because Geekbench can optimize thread use, while most software is somewhat limited in its multithreading efficiency (which is why the i7 machines do so much better in Geekbench in spite of the clock speeds). Not sure how the graphics cards would compare.