Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmmm...so I have a deep-seated lust for an iMac. Preferably 20", although perhaps a 17", rev. B or later. With a Bluetooth keyboard, and either a new BT mouse or the one I already have with my iBook. I have absolutely no need for this device. Just lust. Don't get me wrong. But angels fall to earth to have the sensual experience of being human, and I lust after this device. I don't really care about getting one with an Intel processor in it...I'm quite content with a G5.

If I got it, I might keep it in my lab at school and start ferrying a flash drive around instead of my iBook. Or I might keep it at home, if I could find a way to integrate it into the decor. That's really not the issue. :)

What I'm wondering, in the midst of my lust... well, I could just get a 17"-er refurb'd for $850. Adding ram and a BT kb would make the price an even grand. Which is no problem.

Do you think computers meeting my specs (20" pref, rev B or later) will be available, used, for significantly less after the first Mactel is officially announced? Or not until there are actually Intel-based iMacs in people's hands?

Mmmm...*Rick James voice* lust is a hell of a drug. :eek:

Applespider

macrumors G4
Hmm, you've got the cash, you've got the justification, you've got the location... I guess the answer is 'wait til after MWSF to see what's announced and then just go for it - or hang out on the refurb store and see what comes up.

I know what you mean though; I set up my aunt's new iMac and helped two friends out with new video iPods... bad case of techno lust although unfortunately, since I have two perfectly functional pieces of electronics, I can't justify either of them :(

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
kwajaln said:
iMac lust . . . what is that?!?

Oh, sure, get me all excited during the middle of the day. :(

Yeah, I think I might take 'Spider's advice... I figure I could fence back out a refurb iMac G5 / 17" for a minimal loss. And that way only basically rent it. :p Although I guess that would make my iMac a prostitute! :( Awwww, but I'd only send it to a loving home. And although lust would motivate my purchase, I'd be very loving. :D

Then on the other hand is the fact that I could use the money on an LCD tv. Which is an equally needless but almost-as-tempting purchase. :)

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
I actually would prefer to keep my rev B 20-inch iMac than have one of the rev C iSight models. But that's me . . .

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Artful Dodger said:
Does that make it right if the word loving is in there :eek:

This is what I tell myself everytime I give in to desires of the flesh. It's true, isn't it? Please, say it's true. :(

Mmmm, well, the $850 iMac is gone again for the moment. It seems to come and go very quickly...but hmmm, yes, I am seriously wanting one of those. Perhaps first I should engineer where I would put it. :) I really wish the post Rev A iMacs were wall-mountable.... :(

potatoarms

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2006
Bucks, UK
mkrishnan said:
Mmmm...so I have a deep-seated lust for an iMac. Preferably 20", although perhaps a 17", rev. B or later. With a Bluetooth keyboard, and either a new BT mouse or the one I already have with my iBook. I have absolutely no need for this device. Just lust. Don't get me wrong. But angels fall to earth to have the sensual experience of being human, and I lust after this device. I don't really care about getting one with an Intel processor in it...I'm quite content with a G5.

If I got it, I might keep it in my lab at school and start ferrying a flash drive around instead of my iBook. Or I might keep it at home, if I could find a way to integrate it into the decor. That's really not the issue. :)

What I'm wondering, in the midst of my lust... well, I could just get a 17"-er refurb'd for $850. Adding ram and a BT kb would make the price an even grand. Which is no problem.

Do you think computers meeting my specs (20" pref, rev B or later) will be available, used, for significantly less after the first Mactel is officially announced? Or not until there are actually Intel-based iMacs in people's hands?

Mmmm...*Rick James voice* lust is a hell of a drug. :eek:

I got 20' imac, old version but I love it so much... Did have sme fan problems to start, but best computer ever :D

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
mkrishnan said:
I really wish the post Rev A iMacs were wall-mountable.... :(

They are aren't they? :confused:

I've got a Rev B and was thinking of buying a wall-mounting bracket thingymajig for mine.

Has anyone got (or seen) pics of a wall-mounted iMac? I don't recall seeing any on here...

(oh and my iMac purchase was also totally unnecessary!)

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I did see a wall mount as my studio is 6x9 so the mount would be very welcome for me.

mkrishnan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
Does that make it right if the word loving is in there

This is what I tell myself everytime I give in to desires of the flesh. It's true, isn't it? Please, say it's true.

If I went against you I'd be lying to us both...ohhh that pillow talk, your beautiful little white iMac and you know it ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dietcokevanilla said:
I've got a Rev B and was thinking of buying a wall-mounting bracket thingymajig for mine.

See the page for the wall mount kit. Apple was very quiet about it. The text at the top of the page only clearly states that the Rev C (iSight) iMac will not work, but the reviews below suggest that the same is true for the Rev B. :(

It could probably still be done, but not with the kit, and not without some warranty voiding mad hacking. :( And of the hack-saw, and not script-kiddie variety. :(

My personal theory? That the midplane problems that abounded in the Rev. A had to do with the way the base fits into the body, and so they implemented a temporary fix that they provided to some Rev. A owners, and made a corresponding running change to the Rev. A design, and then rolled a permanent changed into the design for Rev. B. And the permanent change either made it difficult or impossible to include the VESA kit, or they decided it was too much of a risk to let people play with taking the base off given the existing issues. That's my theory....

P.S. Thank you for the moral support about needless iMac purchases. :D

P.P.S. Artful Doger, thank you for backing me up on the way I console myself over my lustful indescretions! :eek: ;) :D

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
mkrishnan said:
See the page for the wall mount kit. Apple was very quiet about it. The text at the top of the page only clearly states that the Rev C (iSight) iMac will not work, but the reviews below suggest that the same is true for the Rev B. :(

:eek: The UK store doesn't mention any of the compatibility issues! Thanks for pointing that out.

One of the reviews says it doesn't work with the "second generation" iMac G5, but then refers to the "curved-back" model, so they're actually talking about the latest Rev C (iSight) one. To me, that page suggests it *should* be compatible with the Rev B... but best to check with Apple I suppose.

I was thinking of possibly wall mounting mine as it's in a very small room and my desk is only 120 x 50 cm, so this would free up some much needed space (depth)... I'm just not sure how neat it would look to have the power cable hanging down though. Hmmmm.

go on, buy one... you know you want to
devil_smile.gif

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mkrishnan said:

I see no reason why the mount should not work with either rev A or B. rec C is a little thinner and the back of it has a hunch thing going on. I call it, "the hunchback of 1 infinity loop." ;) :D

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
devilot said:
And of course... let's not forget about Photobooth and FrontRow. :p
No . . . let's! Front Row - eh, not bad. But Photo Booth is a gimmick that I doubt people will rarely use after the first couple of times.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
kwajaln said:
No . . . let's! Front Row - eh, not bad. But Photo Booth is a gimmick that I doubt people will rarely use after the first couple of times.

I hope Front Row is not going to be similar to the iPod OS, in the sense that if there is something added in feature wise they will release it with the next rev iMac. That would totally be a drag. Though I see Apple trying to pull this off for some reason. :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
maya said:
Though I see Apple trying to pull this off for some reason. :rolleyes:

I would be almost shocked if they didn't. :eek:

Hmmm, I would love a Rev. C. But really, I'm not into desktops. I would be happier if my iBook 12" were smaller and lighter. :p It's just that this one is sooooooo pretty. :) And I guess when it's $850 I can buy it for no reason. It's somehow nonsensically much harder to buy a Rev. C 20" for $1500 for no reason. Damn you, accursed logic! :eek: :(

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
mkrishnan said:
I would be almost shocked if they didn't. :eek:

Hmmm, I would love a Rev. C. But really, I'm not into desktops. I would be happier if my iBook 12" were smaller and lighter. :p It's just that this one is sooooooo pretty. :) And I guess when it's $850 I can buy it for no reason. It's somehow nonsensically much harder to buy a Rev. C 20" for $1500 for no reason. Damn you, accursed logic! :eek: :(

As I am no longer a student and do not know what the student pricing is in the States, is that 1500 EDU price.

Heck I say buy it for your school or business and write it off as a business expense. ;) :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I was in exactly the same boat as you. I have a perfectly good (and adequate) iBook G4, I generally prefer portables, and I dreamed of an iMac G5. All I can see is it's great. The extra power is noticeable throughout the system, the added screen space is brilliant and the thing's a stunner. It's the perfect iBook accessory IMO. :)

Added to that is the benefit of having more than one personal machine. Of course, then you'll be eyeing off .Mac... :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
maya said:
Heck I say buy it for your school or business and write it off as a business expense. ;) :D

Heh...technically, fellowship money is not taxable if it's used on costs of education.... *makes angel face to tax inspector*

EDIT the first: Yes, that's the US EDU pricing.

EDIT the second: Well, I suppose if it's an official requirement to be a Horseman of the Apocalypse *makes second angel face*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.