iMac M380 geekbench / cinebench

Discussion in 'iMac' started by huffy15, Oct 27, 2015.

1. huffy15, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

huffy15 macrumors regular

imac 27 late 2015
    cpu : 3.2 ghz
    ram : 24 gb
    ssd : 256 gb
    gpu : m380 2gb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Finally someone with M380!
    Thank you for these benchmarks! However, would you mind posting some real world gaming performance impressions? :)

3. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try find a game to install. I just have roller coaster tycoon right now to install. I hope I'll be able to run 4 x 4k video without lag we'll see.

4. AlexGraphicD, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

AlexGraphicD macrumors regular

AlexGraphicD

Thanks a lot, but I'd like to ask what does thοse benchmarks actually show about the card? Is it good results? Sorry, but I am not familiar with tech specs and bench tests.

I want to buy the entry model with the m380 for graphic design, web surfing and a bit of home video editing in imovie. No games, no 3d rendering or profesional video editing.

5. huffy15, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not really an expert so i can't comment. I tried to run 6 x 4k video (offline) at the same time and I doesn't lag at all. Very big improvement from my macbook pro 2008

Here's my disk speed. I'll post the full xbench later. I'll try to run call of duty this week-end to see the fps and I'm installing photoshop + illustrator right now.

[​IMG]

I reached 1850 on read and 1250 on write

6. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thanks!
    Hopefully you have any of these games: Rocket League, Cities Skylines (with or without After Dark expansion), Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, similar demanding games. OS X gaming is preferred but if you get substantially better results in Windows, that's good too! :)

This is why benchmarks are not very good. Real world performance impressions is better since that's what you'll experience anyway!

7. angelofioren macrumors newbie

angelofioren

I should be getting my m380 iMac on Thursday and I'm not too worried about the GPU being an issue for me, especially with what's mentioned here. No games, and light photo and video work. And if I do play a Mac game, it's usually some sort of strategy games since I save the AAA stuff for my PS4.

8. AlexGraphicD macrumors regular

AlexGraphicD

Yeah, now I am also relaxed that m380 will do its job fine. No need to waste my hard earned money on uneccecary higher specs.

9. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

If you look at the price difference between the m395x and the m380, you can almost build yourself a gaming pc. I'm downloading cod black ops and cities skyline right now. I'll try to export a 4k imovie video this weekend and rendering a cinema 4d project aswell.

10. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Thanks a lot for this. Over at this thread I am building a list of graphics benchmarks for all the riMacs.
    Until now I was missing only the m380. You've given the cinebench scores which is much appreciated. Do you mind to download Unigine Heaven, run it at the following settings, and then post the results here or in that thread? Thanks!

Unigine Heaven running with:
    - OS X/OpenGL
    - 2560x1440
    - Quality Ultra
    - Tessellation: Disabled
    - Antialiasing: None
    - Fullscreen

11. huffy15, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

here's a few update.

Cities Skyline : ~ 24fps (with a virgin ground no building) at 2650 x 1440 everything at high.
    It feels usable but the game doesn't look very optimized

Call of Duty : Modern warfare 3 : feels like 40fps (unable to get the fps while I was gaming) at 5K resolution with almost everything at "YES".
    I tried to run it at 1080p and it feels like a 50fps - 60fps during the first scene with a lot of explosion.

I'm downloading Unigine Heaven (their web server is so slow) and I'll post the result later this evening.

Overall the graphic card looks fine as a web developer like me. You can easily run over 100 google chrome tabs and run photoshop, lightroom, xcode without any lag. That being said, I'm not going to use this computer for gaming or 3d animation. Just running the 5k display itself use almost 40% of the gpu according to istat menu

12. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

13. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Big thank you!
    Was this tested in OS X or Windows? If OS X, do you have the possibility to test it at Windows?

14. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Awesome. Thanks very much

15. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try to install bootcamp this week-end. This was tested in osx.

16. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Cheers mate!

17. huffy15, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

Just to give you guys an update. I just placed a new order for a i7 / 395x / 256. I'll return my m380 when I'll receive the new one. My last computer last 7 years and I think I'll use this computer for the next 5 years. I'm doing a lot of web development and webdesign. The m380 lacks of power with highly intensive parallax website. This 8k video lag as well :

18. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

My 6770M iMac only gets an "error occurred" when I select 8K. :p It does to pretty well with 4K though, when the connection can keep up. :p

19. repoman27 macrumors 6502

I saw that you're returning the M380 version and going whole-hog, but if you happen to still have the M380, I was curious about the Device ID and Revision ID as reported in the the Hardware > Graphics/Displays section by OS X System Information?

And if you do install Windows on that machine, the memory clocks from GPU-Z would be awesome...

Cheers!

20. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm returning in one week or so.

Device ID:0x6640
    Revision ID:0x0080

I really don't know if I'm going to have time to install windows on the imac but I'll definitely install GPU-Z if I do it.

21. repoman27, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

repoman27 macrumors 6502

Thanks, although that has me slightly perplexed... I was expecting 0x6646 for the Device ID.

22. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

I really don't know what this mean but this graphic is just fine. I'm not sure how well it will handle FCP, Premiere and Open GL in 2-3 years.

23. Tanax macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming you won't have time to test this?

Really? I do web development as well (not web design). I've never noticed that it's very demanding for modern CPUs and GPUs. For what reasons do you need that much power in regards to your web development? Or is the M380 really that bad?

24. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

Coding itself does not require the best graphic card, but web development with intensive front end animation can be more challenging for the m380 on a 5k display. I tried a few sites on awwwards and they are all similar to these sites.

http://www.loveholidays.com/holiday-memories/ when you click on a polaroid it's a little bit jerky and gpu is running at 100% on istat.
    http://www.subaru.com/csr/environment not that bad but gpu is running at 98%.

I spend almost 5 hour a week visiting those kind of site.

If you do the math (5120 x 2880)/(1920 x 1080) = ~7 times more pixels than a regular 1080p monitor.

I really doubt the m380 is 7 times better than a 1080p imac. You're definitely loosing gpu power because of the display.

If you don't do those kind of site on daily basis I'd say go for the m380 otherwise it can be a little short on power on the long run. I usually keep my computers 6 years.

25. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't do those kind of sites.. but I do want to play some light games on it so I'm thinking the M390 is the best value-performance ratio model to go with.