iMac mac address changes by itself.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by parisv, Feb 28, 2011.

1. parisv macrumors member

Sep 25, 2008
    Our network only allows computers who's mac address have been added to the system. We have a strange problem where a 2010 iMac with fresh install of osx 10.6 keeps changing it's mac address from it's original.

I'm guessing it's a NIC fault, was just wondering if anyone has seen this before?
  2. GenieonWork, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

GenieonWork macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2011
    Same problem here; non-persistent MAC-address changes

I've kinda the same problem here.

I've 10 iMAC's here, which I want to give specific IP-addresses by adding DCHP-reservations to the server.
    However, sometimes they provide a weird MAC-address to the DHCP-server (like '494d414335', or even some 28/30-character MAC-addresses).
    When I check the Airport-settings on the MAC, they list their normal addresses.
    When I check from a Terminal-window (using the ifconfig-command), they list their normal MAC-addresses.

Haven't been able to find anything on the internet yet (except for this post of course ;) ), let alone find a solution.

Shutdown - startup doesn't help, reboot doesn't help, turning off - turning on the wireless NIC on the MAC doesn't help.
    The fun thing is thought, sometimes it's working as it should, but other times the MAC-addresses are all mixed-up.

Edit: On the Airport Extreme (wireless AP in bridged mode) it is showing the correct MAC-addresses; restarting the Airport Extreme doesn't help either.