iMac mac mini super Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleBMW&Lakers, Sep 12, 2011.

1. AppleBMW&Lakers macrumors member

AppleBMW&Lakers

Hey guys, I was wondering if you can connect a 27 inch imac to the new mac mini, however in a way that they work together as a new super mac. I asked the workers at the apple store, but they looked at me as if I was crazy. I just want to give my imac a boost with a mac mini beast. I heard that xgrid can do it, but anything else out there?:D

2. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

If what you're describing is even possible, then I would have hooked up my Macbook to my iMac to give it a little boost of power months ago.

But, I don't think what you're describing is possible with consumer-level computers.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

There is software (xgrid) for the Mac that allows an application to offload some of it's tasks to another computer, BUT it requires that the application be written to take advantage of it. . Last time it came up there was only one app that would use it.

It certainly wouldn't help for games though.

4. MacHamster68, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i know it does work with PowerMac G5's definitely ;)
    ...virginia tech system X ... 10 teraflops :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr8VqJgPEKI

as i want to do the same thing on a bit smaller scale i only have 1 G5 dual core 2.3ghz and i want to do it with about 10 of them next year when the prices drop a bit further ..my own little cluster G5 supercomputer ...will be a fun project :)

so eventually it works with MacPro's too, but certainly not with mini's or iMac's, offloading some of the work well yes , but for that you dont really need to connect them to each other , a NAS would do that trick too processing the same file different , say the mini makes a avi the iMac a whatever