Okay, so as a longtime obsessive reader of MR this is my first proper post. I am in desperate need of advice! I was holding out for the results of WWDC and / or Merom announcement in order to make my final purchasing decision. I'm amazed I managed to resist reaching into my wallet this long, but the time has come where I can wait no longer! My Ti Powerbook 1ghz died today, my trusty sidekick for nearly four years... As I am a pro user, I can no longer afford to wait beyond the announcements next Monday. I'm considering either: a) MBP 17 inch b) iMac 20 inch c) bottom end Mac Pro (my guess is a 2.3Ghz-ish Conroe) I am a music producer, using Logic Audio, so my requirements of a new machine are these... Essential: - speed, and lots of it. Yes I've scraped by with my PB G4 for a good while, but every day it gets more excrutiating. The way plugins are going I have long since fallen behind, ever waiting for the elusive PB G5. Will the MBP / iMac be fast enough? How do the speeds of MBP compare to the iMac? Is the iMac drive much faster than the MBP? - connectivity. My worry with the iMac is it lacks FW 800, something I'd really like as audio requires decent HD speed, and I already have an external drive which I'm running slow on FW 400. I could live without FW 800, but it's pretty high priority. - Windows (this is a feature that really excites me about Intel Macs) -  screen estate. I'm tired of scrolling around logic to see the full channel strip. This discounts the 15" MBP (as does its relative bad value compared to the 17") Non-essential (would be nice): - portability (I've loved my PB for this reason, as I've travelled a hell of a lot in the past few years, but if I buy a desktop this time I would be quite happy to later on buy a Merom Macbook non-Pro for this purpose) - Good Win XP gaming ability. - FW 800 - card slots for things like pro-audio DSP (ie Mac Pro) - large onboard HD, SATA (discounts the MBP) I know this is a lot of info to take in, and undoubtedly there will be more to consider if any upgrades are announced (although I can't wait more than say two weeks, and if that means missing Core2 machines, so be it...) Any advice would be so much appreciated... thanks for taking the time to consider my dillema!