imac / mac pro - video editing and my requirements....

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by steveOooo, Jul 4, 2011.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Currently have a mbp hooked up to a 24" hp monitor (£500 really good one!)

i have 4x 2TB WD My Books FW 800 ext. drives for media (x2 daisy chained).

Would like to get some sort of raid set up - perhaps an external raid via FW800? As likely to start a job doing multicam - not huge amounts, 30x3min clips per week, but im sure will speed up the process being able to live edit (2xpro ress 422 l streams required). So good FW800 ext. raids for MPB?

BUT bit fed up of renders, motion clogging the system up when doing gfx etc on my mbp..

Could do with a desktop, for extra cpu etc.. - I have a matrox mini for external video monitoring, hooked up to a bog standard hdmi 20" tv.

With the imac is there a way to monitor external video for colour correction, as per the matrox mini - I know about the Matrox MX but would like something the same price / cheaper than the mini and not sure how accurate using dvi would be? Is there a thunderbolt solution coming ?

IS there a particular external raid option for the imac? could i still use fw800 on a thunderbolt model?

Mac Pro, - obviously a new model is coming very soon, im sure with thunderbolt option. I guess wait and see, but it would appear the imac is much more better value - but external video monitoring for colour correction in FCP and Multicam editing are two things i want to have.

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Might want to stick to your current set up and wait and see what new hardware will work with future versions of FCP.