iMac + Macbook Air or MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chriswirth930, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Chriswirth930 macrumors newbie

I currently have an 11in ultimate Macbook Air. I love the portability it offers and how quick it is for opening applications. Overall it is a great computer. Being though that I love to upgrade my Apple products continuously I am trying to decide whether I should buy a 21in iMac and use the MacBook Air and my iPad on the go or whether I should sell the air and get a 13 or 15in MacBook Pro. Oh and by the way either way I will be waiting to make my purchase until the next models are released.

I know that both configuration have their advantages. The iMac and MacBook air provides the most portability as well as power (with the iMac) while the MacBook Pro is a good compromise on both and doesn't require the syncing of two computers. Just looking for other's opinions.

Thanks

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I have a 15" MBP and I just ordered an Air. As "portable" as this 15" is supposed to be, I just find myself reluctant to bring it anywhere. I played with the Air in a store the other day (which is actually what helped me decide to finally buy one) and I couldn't believe how light and easy to carry around it is. Personally, I'd go with the iMac and the Air. The Air will do what you need it to on the go, and if you really need power, you're likely to be at your desk with your iMac anyway.

3. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Make a custom rig. Much better deal and you can put hackintosh on it. Its honestly very easy to do.

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Personally, I have always had a main desktop and main laptop. I use my desktop as the central repository for pretty much everything, and the laptop as a slimmed-down version of that (mostly just missing out on music, videos, photos, etc.) to bring with me everywhere. Currently, I have an early 2009 mini and a mid 2009 Air, and it works out perfectly for me. I get my laptop to be an extremely portable computer, because I cart it with me all day, every day. Depending on your use, you need to make this decision based on how you use your machines.

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

I personally don't see the whole point of a Macbook Air. A 11" laptop is still too big to be carried without a bag, so what's the point? Also I'm a bit concerned how weak the hinges are of the Macbook Air.

But since you already have a MBA, an iMac seems a better choice.

7. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

My suggestion: Since you have an iPad, sell the MBair and buy the ultimate 13" MBP (or the ultimate white macbook, depending on what we see in the next models). That way you have the most portable web browser etc, plus you have a strong machine which is also portable enough.

8. carreragt7 macrumors regular

I currently own an 11" ultimate Air, a 13" MBP, and I just sold my 8-core MP. My current plan is to see what the new MBP refresh brings: if it is a big enough update I will just buy the 15" or 17" top model and sell my other computers.

Obviously "portability" is a subjective word and personal preference, but I have owned all sizes of the unibody Pros and I honestly loved having the powerhouse 17".

I love my 11" Air, but if the new MBP is what I hope it is I'll just hop over to it instead. I will be using the same backpack either way so a couple extra pounds isn't a deal breaker for me.

The 11" is awesome for in meetings and while flying, but I could survive without it. Really does come down to what you are wanting to do. I tried the syncing of my Mac Pro and my Air for a month or so, and I honestly ended up using my Air more than the MP so I couldn't justify keeping it. I might buy a lower end MP, or the 27" iMac as I could use it as an external for my Air as well as a standalone computer.

But financially, buying a nicely spec'd MBP and having it as your only machine is the cheapest option in my opinion. You can always have an external monitor with it if needed.

9. Chriswirth930 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'm gonna wait and see what the new MacBook pros bring and if it's not a huge upgrade I'll just go with the iMac and keep my air. At least that's where I'm leaning now.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

The new MacBook Pro's aren't getting any smaller...and if they do the reduction will be nothing compared to the air. Yesterday I walked into the apple store with my MBP to look at the iPhone 4 picked up the 11inch air and picked up my 13inch MBP. The air felt like I was holding an iPad, almost lighter while my MBP felt like a newborn child. Not saying I hate my MBP I need the ports, slight power increase, and various other things but really its like buying two different sized SUV's; one for the weekend and one for the weekday when it really should be a sports car and an SUV...

11. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Back in 2007, I just had my MacBook. Then in 2009, I purchased a couple of Mac Minis. As the Mac Minis are more powerful that the MacBook I tend to do some tasks I used to do on the MacBook on the Mac Minis. This may well change around again when I purchase my next laptop, most likely a 15" MBP.

It's nice to have multiple Macs especially if you like to do things that max out the CPU.

12. zodqyv macrumors regular

I agree! I was a hardcore 13" MacBook Pro guy until the 11" Air came out. I now carry that little machine with me everywhere. Having an iMac (or Mac Pro) at home along with your Air would be the perfect combination.