iMac + Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by james809, Jun 29, 2010.

1. james809 macrumors newbie

I'm currently a student that needs a really light laptop, but when I do a bit of gaming at home and photo editing.

Would it be logical if I bought a used Macbook Air (and if so, where would be a good site other than eBay?) and a 27-inch iMac with Core i7 under the student promotion?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you have the $‚ then yeah, but MBA is pretty limited so it needs another computer in my opinion. Check Craigslist, it's also pretty popular but meet in public and pay with cash

3. james809 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, with the education promotion, the Macbook Air is almost free. I just need something small & light that I can type quickly with. But I can't get the iPad as it's not available in my country yet.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How is it almost free? It seems to suit well for you so go ahead, the iMac will just sweeten the setup even more!

5. Dyango macrumors member

If you're using the air as your "student computer" so for taking notes and such, it should work well enough I reckon. For the rest -photo and a bit of gaming- the iMac should suit your needs perfectly.

Although, if weight and space is not that much of an issue, you could replace the air by a macbook in order to save some cash. In the other hand, if it really is that important and you have the money for all those computers, then go ahead, I'm sure you'll enjoy them ;)

6. james809 thread starter macrumors newbie

After checking the prices, I realized with the educational promotion, the amount I save is only 1/2 of a used Macbook Air. But is it time to get the iMac? Seems to me a new one will come out soon, but the student promotion might end by then.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The update won't affect the high-end that much, it already uses pretty much the fastest chips it can. Likely a better GPU but how much better, that's the question.

8. james809 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I need your opinion. The price seems a bit too low for the only a 4 month old Macbook Air on ebay, do you guys think that this is a scam?
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180527468591

He only accepts the payment via Bank Transfer, and doesn't have that great of a reputation, but I don't really want to spend that much on my MB Air.

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

10. pepto macrumors member

Not sure if this is against forum rules (if it is someone let me know an I will delete this post) but after finding a 15 inch macbook pro a bit too bulky for travel I am now planning to buy a 27 inch imac after the next update and have bough an Asus 1201N 12 inch netbook Snow Leopard Hackintosh. It runs pretty well, has the dual core Atom 330 and Nvidia Ion which is pretty much a 9400 that is in the MBA. The 12 inch size makes both the keyboard and screen a lot more useable than a regular netbook and with 2 gb of ram it does everything that I would want out of a cheap, lightweight notebook.

Not quite as sexy or powerful as the MBA but a damn sight cheaper (got mine for $380 on ebay already set up with OS X).