iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro.. decisions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by koobcamuk, Apr 21, 2007.

  1. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

    koobcamuk

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #1
    I was wondering if you could help me with a situation I have here...

    The iMac (I am typing on now) is barely used at all. EyeTV is great, but if I just set it to record I will never get the chance to see anything! I need to just catch the odd program here any there, so the iMac is not actually being used that much at all.

    This makes me think I could do with getting rid of it and going to one computer. The benefits of the iMac seem to be outnumbered at the moment by it's cons. It can only depreciate with time, I think. I can't see myself getting more for it in a year than I would now...

    I am finding that I am using my MB more and more as I do programming or use documents that I really need to be on one or two computers (work and home) and not three! Whatever decision I make, I plan (hope) to last me until the end of my Ph.D (sept 2009).

    I see three options

    a) continue as I am, with an iMac for light video editing and movie watching, and a MacBook for all my work and powerhungry applications

    b) sell the iMac and use the funds to get a large Dell screen, a new internal HD for the MacBook and a few other bits and bobs

    c) sell the MacBook and the iMac, use the funds to buy a MBP and an external screen (remember I get educational discounts)

    At the moment, I am not sure what I should do, and wondered if I could get an alternative perspective on things. I am going to spend a month on a boat (May 15th - June 15th) and want a laptop at this point, regardless of which model it is. I am then travelling to Germany, for a month, so again, need to be portable. After that, I have a hiatus of no travel (holiday time?) and will be working on the iMac in the office or at home on a computer.

    Any ideas/opinions?
     
  2. island macrumors 6502

    island

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2007
    Location:
    CT
    #2
    Personally I would keep the Macbook you have now, sell the iMac, and then worry about upgrading the laptop later this year when the new releases come out that include Leopard and iLife 08. Then all you have to pick is if you want the latest Macbook or Macbook Pro which should be easy if there is some sort of design change.

    I myself would go with a Pro laptop :)
     
  3. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

    koobcamuk

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #3
    Thanks for the reply!

    I think you have a point there. I don't actually need the MBP. I just want it. MBP envy, I call it. I have had it since day one!

    I think I should sell the iMac, get a 24" display or similar and then wait to see what happens. If Apple do nothing interesting, I should max out the MacBook with HDD etc as it only has 60GB at the moment.

    Then, if Apple release something really nice, I can go for it (I want Pro this time!!!).
     
  4. Kalmia macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #4
    I'm looking to "recycle" my iMac into a new notebook, too... it's too easy to get spoiled by portability, truly. :p

    If you're itching to bring home an MBP, why not sell your iMac and shop around for a nice used one? The Core Duo models have undergone huge price cuts in the wake of C2D, so if you don't particularly need or care about the modest speed bump, one of those should suit your needs quite nicely.

    Or, if you're patient and would rather have an unused machine, go the external monitor route, then sit on your remaining funds until WWDC and see what happens. If Apple releases something amazing, buy it, or wait a couple more days and snatch up the previously "new" stock at slashed prices. Win-win situation! :D

    Good luck with your decision!


    ~Kalmia
     
  5. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

    koobcamuk

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #5
    Many thanks! I had also read your thread pre-posting mine.

    I think you're right. I could buy a refurb MacBook Pro at a significant price drop after selling the iMac and Macbook. I might even have enough money left over to buy a nice big display or something.

    Being in the UK - prices aren't as low as in the USA though, so it's still a big move. I guess in an ideal world I would sell both iMac and MacBook then get a refurb from America sent to me. :D

    Unlikely though!

    The iMac is lovely, but I just don't need it/can't justify its use.

    Getting a Pro laptop might stop me from constantly feeling jealous everytime I see them. I guess, if I get a MBP when the newer model comes out, the refurb price might drop further :)

    Thanks for the comments! Keep them coming.
     

Share This Page