iMac & MacBook-How to keep files exact on both?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by MattyMac, Oct 19, 2008.

1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I just picked up a new aluminum MacBook. I also have an iMac. Is there a way to make everything the same on both systems? If I change or add a file to one it will do the same on the other. Basically keeping them in sync. I do have mobile me if that helps.

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

You can start with carbon copy cloner.

after that i don't know.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you have MobileMe, anything you put in your iDisk will be the same on any computer you access the iDisk from.

You also might want to check out ChronoSync. It's a third-party tool that's typically recommended in discussions like this. Takes a little bit to get setup, but it's fairly powerful and can keep everything in sync.

4. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I only have 10gb of storage on iDisk.

I'll look into ChronoSync.

Thanks.

5. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

ChronoSync is $30. Does anyone know of a software that does the same thing for free and is just a reliable?

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

ChronoSync is just a GUI version of the rysnc command line tool. Learn how to use the Terminal and rysnc or pay the $30.

Also, Microsoft's Live Mesh will keep designated folders in sync between both Macs and PCs. It's free, for now. www.mesh.com