Imac? Macbook? Now or December?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SavannahMac, Aug 11, 2009.

  1. SavannahMac macrumors newbie

    Aug 11, 2009
    I am planning on getting my kids a Mac for Christmas. We have a PC notebook that works just fine for portability and love that. I am trying to decide which Mac to buy. Should I get a desktop so I can keep an eye on my preteen's activity and justify it because of additional power for $1100 or get another notebook computer so we can sit on the couch, etc. I will say that I love the big screen on the desktop. My notebook has a 17" screen but I can't afford that in an MacBook. I'm also planning to get an iPod touch so the portability will be there. I'm totally confused. I also need to decide whether to buy it now or wait until the new operating system comes standard on the machine. I've read that the iMac might be in for a big update in the near future. Any news on that? Will it make the desk-top more expensive or less? Any guidance will be appreciated. By the way, we use the computer for internet, Spore and other juvenile games, photos and movie streaming (often on our current notebook).
  2. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    Either choice would be a valid option, and more of a matter of personal preference. You can always get a 13" mb or mbp and hook it up to an external monitor on a desk for the best of both worlds...
  3. JFreak macrumors 68040


    Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    This advice always holds true: "If you can wait, then wait until there's a new refreshhed model available. If you can't wait, then buy immediately."
  4. OllyW Moderator


    Staff Member

    Oct 11, 2005
    The Black Country, England
    Wise words indeed.

    They should be automatically inserted into any thread which asks the question "Buy now or wait until ........?"

Share This Page