Imac? Macbook? Now or December?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SavannahMac, Aug 11, 2009.

1. SavannahMac macrumors newbie

I am planning on getting my kids a Mac for Christmas. We have a PC notebook that works just fine for portability and love that. I am trying to decide which Mac to buy. Should I get a desktop so I can keep an eye on my preteen's activity and justify it because of additional power for $1100 or get another notebook computer so we can sit on the couch, etc. I will say that I love the big screen on the desktop. My notebook has a 17" screen but I can't afford that in an MacBook. I'm also planning to get an iPod touch so the portability will be there. I'm totally confused. I also need to decide whether to buy it now or wait until the new operating system comes standard on the machine. I've read that the iMac might be in for a big update in the near future. Any news on that? Will it make the desk-top more expensive or less? Any guidance will be appreciated. By the way, we use the computer for internet, Spore and other juvenile games, photos and movie streaming (often on our current notebook).

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Either choice would be a valid option, and more of a matter of personal preference. You can always get a 13" mb or mbp and hook it up to an external monitor on a desk for the best of both worlds...

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

This advice always holds true: "If you can wait, then wait until there's a new refreshhed model available. If you can't wait, then buy immediately."

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Wise words indeed.

They should be automatically inserted into any thread which asks the question "Buy now or wait until ........?"