iMac, MacBook Pro, home network advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heavenlyhero, Aug 19, 2010.

1. heavenlyhero macrumors newbie

Hi,

I’m sure this is a common problem, but can't find a clear answer.

iMac plus new MacBook Pro, home networking. I’m far from an expert and get a bit confused with speeds/frequency of routers etc…

I’m currently just using the free router from ISP (O2, uk), I’ve got an old(ish) Airport Express, that I’ve constantly struggled to get recognised since changing broadband suppliers, so is currently not in use.

I want to be able to easily share files between Mac’s, mainly photos (I use Aperture on MBP to edit and then want to put the edited photos in 1 home folder), Pages documents and iTunes music.

Obviously Time capsule is the easy option, but, I’ve read lots of issues with the current version, failing, overheating etc… Is there a new one coming soon? Am I better waiting a couple of months?

Or… will an Airport Extreme with a USB hard drive attached do the same job at a cheaper price? I read a good review of a Lacie hard drive with Time Machine capabilities, but it was suggested I would need to buy a faster Router.

Budget is not a major issue, I just want it all to work well. I don’t want to spend £300 on a Time Capsule, only for Apple to announce it is faulty and they have a new one coming out either.

Sorry for long mail, I really appreciate any advice.

Mark

2. AsterixGM macrumors newbie

I'm using an AEBS with an external 1TB WD drive attached to it. This is my Time Machine backup drive. Have had no problems with my iMac/MBP saving files to it. I also have a 2 TB WD external attached to my iMac strictly for storage.

3. heavenlyhero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Has anyone else got any pros/cons of time machine compared to Airport Extreme plus a USB hard drive?

4. MaxBeagleton macrumors member

Time capsule is a "hot" contender

I can't comment on the AE, but my 500GB Time Capsule has been working great since I bought it eight months ago. It tends to run a bit hot, so I am careful not to put anything on top of it. It backs up two MBPs and an iMac. I get a strong wireless signal anywhere in my two-story house. I also have a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent USB plugged into the TC for miscellaneous file sharing, like when there is a dmg file that I need to install on multiple Macs.