iMac Mail Client Needed with Hotmail folders and html email capabilities

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shippouk, May 2, 2010.

1. shippouk macrumors regular

Hi there
    I am completely new to macs having finally brought one after having enough of pc's. (I didnt even know how to install a program or save an image from a website!...lol)

What I need is a mail client for my iMac running MAC OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 which I can have Hotmail on which displays and has access to all my personal hotmail folders. So when I update/send emails/move email from one folder to another on my mac they update online and on my business partners (PC), and the same at the other end so it update son my Mac.

I also need to be able to send HTML e-newsletters.

This is for my business with 6000+ email addresses so I don't want to really have to change my works email address and use googlemail instead or something.

Currently I use a combination of Windows Live Mail (its actually pretty good for hotmail) and Outlook 2003 (flakey at times but great and easy for sending HTML emails).

Is anything available for the Mac that does what I need?
    Having had a good look around I cant seem to find any?

thanks
    Shippo

2. Middling macrumors regular

Hotmail uses a proprietary method of syncing folders and email called DeltaSync.

I'm not aware of any clients outside of Windows that support it.

Hotmail does support POP3 so you can download your email to any standard email client, but wont help you in keeping email organised across multiple machines.

IMAP would allow you to do what you want, but thus far Microsoft haven't shown much interest in supporting it. See this thread for others who have requested IMAP.

I just migrated a backup domain onto the Windows Live Custom Domain platform this morning, so was searching for a similar solution as you, but no luck.

If you're actually using your own domain name for email then it wouldn't be too difficult to migrate to a provider that supports IMAP such as Google Apps for your domain or Polaris Mail (which i am currently evaluating for my primary email host).