imac making Noise !

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jigsb007, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

Guys,
    i have recently bought iMAC, 27" for $1700 from best buy, So far i was a windows user but thought of moving on MAC and use Windows on it.

So far its a gr* Product, i love it. Just few questions..

1. Booting time is Not that quick...It does boot bit quickly then windows. But I was expecting bit more from Mac. Its brand new and not many Applications are installed.

2. This is bit annoing as it makes noise when it reads CD/DVD. Now a days Even windows based desktop doesnt make such noice. ( May be its bcoz of All - in one casing )

3. Hard drive is bit noisy too !1 you can hear when hard drive spins and when its in USE.

I might be wrong about this things, but its quit noticable. Is it normal ? OR may be my expectations are high for iMAC .

Please let me know your thoughts, I still have 1 week to return to best buy.

Thanks

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Computers aren't silent. Not sure what you boot time is, but just because it's a Mac doesn't mean its going to boot faster. The hard drive will still limit that.

Yes, the CD drive makes noise, and plenty of it. Nothing you can do about that, it's just what happens with an AIO where it's basically in your face. Plus it's a laptop drive which is a bit noisier.

As far as the hard drive goes, some are a bit louder than others, that's just the nature of them. Again, you can hear it a bit more since it's at ear level, rather than under a desk in a bigger case. We have a 27" at home, and while I can hear that stuff, it's still a ton quieter than our old dell tower.

3. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply.

Now, i bought from best buy, for $1700 with Tax. its i5/1T HDD/27 "
    Do you guys know about the pricing ? i mean, should i wait for some time as holidays are near OR is there any newer model is on the way from Apple.

I am not sure i should buy i7 , as its bit expensive. but on the other hand i am thinking that since i m spending $1700, if i wait for couple of months and may be at the same price i can buy imac with higher specs.

Also, best buy is running a sale on their financing right now ( 36 months 0 % ) so is it worth buying i7?

I am new to imac world and my thinking is to buy the best computer with the highest Specs. Let me also tell you, that i am a normal user of computers, like day to day use. I do play with Pictures and videos too...

what are your suggestions... Thanks for reading / replying me.

Thanks

4. TheAnswer 03 macrumors newbie

Using an SSD instead of an HDD will solve 2 of your 3 issues. I got a 21.5" iMac with 256GB SSD only and my boot time is less than 20 seconds, it's purely silent, and the iMac itself always low in temperature. That's a more worthy upgrade than an i7 based on your usages probably.

5. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

My iMac 21.5" is near silent as well. No noise from its CD/DVD Player (although I only used it 1 time), no noise from its internal HDD and its internal fans are super quite as well. Even with its fans 300 RPMs faster then default, its internal fans are quiet. Compared to my HP laptop (using W7), my iMac is quieter then a mouse sleeping on cotton fluff. Well, almost.... :)

If your iMac 27" is too loud for your liking, perhaps visiting BestBuy and listening to their on display iMac 27" units might help. re: Do compare their sounds to your 27" sounds. Each iMac 27" sounds should be very similar...

Good luck....