iMac - MAX'd out config - SSD worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GrassHoppa10, Jul 31, 2012.

1. GrassHoppa10 macrumors member

I know SSD's rock. Have them in my MBP 15", my MBA 13" etc.

Need to replace my 5 yr old iMac 24" with a new iMac 27".

The SSD is ridiculously expensive - $600 for a 256GB. Whereas I have a spare Samsung 256GB SSD just bought on Amazon at sale price. But the iFixit procedure for adding a SSD is scary - way too many steps.

My usage is typical Safari/iTunes/iMovie/iDVD/Photoshop CS6, Aperture, iPhoto and VMs to run Win 7 ultimate for work, and VPN clients to work etc.

I plan to add 16GB or preferably 32GB memory. But the SSD is a ripoff from apple. Plus if I get it with the 2TB disk alone, then not sure if power cables/SSD tray/SATA cable connector is there. Any recommendations.

2. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Do you have a handy friend? If yes, do it yourself. :)

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Haven't really investigated it much myself, but aren't there external enclosures now showing up for Thunderbolt? Probably not as ideal as internal, but perhaps cheaper. I also know OWC will install their SSDs for you; they won't put in the one you already bought however.

4. rottnjohn macrumors newbie

rottnjohn

It sucks but I think it's worth it in the long run. I have a 22" i7 w/SSD+1Tb at home and 27" i7 HD only at work, both 2011, both pure Apple except for the Crucial memory.

I prefer the one at home but I had to scrape by for a couple (extra) months get it. I didn't want to risk AppleCare. I have plenty of homegrown vmhosts to muck with at home and work should I need to.

5. mactmaster macrumors 6502

It's really simple to do upgrades yourself on the iMacs. You can get RAM much cheaper than Apple offers it. Last year I picked up 16GB for $32. Installing an SSD yourself is really simple on the newer iMacs because they already include a spare SATA port. OWC offers a kit. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIM27SSD11/