iMac - MAX'd out config - SSD worth it?

GrassHoppa10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
I know SSD's rock. Have them in my MBP 15", my MBA 13" etc.

Need to replace my 5 yr old iMac 24" with a new iMac 27".

The SSD is ridiculously expensive - $600 for a 256GB. Whereas I have a spare Samsung 256GB SSD just bought on Amazon at sale price. But the iFixit procedure for adding a SSD is scary - way too many steps.

My usage is typical Safari/iTunes/iMovie/iDVD/Photoshop CS6, Aperture, iPhoto and VMs to run Win 7 ultimate for work, and VPN clients to work etc.

I plan to add 16GB or preferably 32GB memory. But the SSD is a ripoff from apple. Plus if I get it with the 2TB disk alone, then not sure if power cables/SSD tray/SATA cable connector is there. Any recommendations.

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
I know SSD's rock. Have them in my MBP 15", my MBA 13" etc.

Need to replace my 5 yr old iMac 24" with a new iMac 27".

The SSD is ridiculously expensive - $600 for a 256GB. Whereas I have a spare Samsung 256GB SSD just bought on Amazon at sale price. But the iFixit procedure for adding a SSD is scary - way too many steps.

My usage is typical Safari/iTunes/iMovie/iDVD/Photoshop CS6, Aperture, iPhoto and VMs to run Win 7 ultimate for work, and VPN clients to work etc.

I plan to add 16GB or preferably 32GB memory. But the SSD is a ripoff from apple. Plus if I get it with the 2TB disk alone, then not sure if power cables/SSD tray/SATA cable connector is there. Any recommendations.
Do you have a handy friend? If yes, do it yourself. :)

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Haven't really investigated it much myself, but aren't there external enclosures now showing up for Thunderbolt? Probably not as ideal as internal, but perhaps cheaper. I also know OWC will install their SSDs for you; they won't put in the one you already bought however.

rottnjohn

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
silly valley
It sucks but I think it's worth it in the long run. I have a 22" i7 w/SSD+1Tb at home and 27" i7 HD only at work, both 2011, both pure Apple except for the Crucial memory.

I prefer the one at home but I had to scrape by for a couple (extra) months get it. I didn't want to risk AppleCare. I have plenty of homegrown vmhosts to muck with at home and work should I need to.