iMac maximum memory limit

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bn.macrumours, Jan 25, 2012.

1. bn.macrumours macrumors newbie

Hi - I bought a 24" iMac in Nov 2008 with 4GB RAM. I understand that this is the max. allowable memory, however I wonder if there's a way to get any more using something like a USB drive? This is possible in Windows I think and called something like MemoryBoost. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your iMac can use up to 6GB of RAM.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

3. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

If 24" iMac 2bought in Nov 2008 (assume its an April 2008 version), then perhaps it can increase up to 6 GBs.

re: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo_PC2-6400

If it can, then perhaps you can sell existing 4 GBs Simms and replace with availble 6 GBs. Thus, memory upgrade to 6 GBs is more affordable...

Note too sure of Mac OS has a memory boost 3rd party application....

4. simsaladimbamba

That iMac has a 6 GB limit: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...24-inch-aluminum-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

And know, that boosting your RAM via USB is horrible, as USB only offers 35 MB/s read/write speeds, while writing to the internal HDD can offer up to 110 MB/s read/write speeds and DDR2 RAM with 800 MHz has read/write speeds of 6400 MB/s, which is 58 times faster than the internal HDD and 182 times faster than USB 2.0, thus USB 2.0 would slow you down actually.

----------

While there are 4 GB DDR2 SO-DIMM modules, there are no 6 GB DDR2 SO-DIMM modules. To get to 6 GB RAM, one has to use one 2 GB and one 4 GB SO-DIMM module.

OP:

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​