iMac + MB? Or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Oct 5, 2009.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I currently have a Dell Quad that I use extensively to record TV using Windows Media Center with a Hauppauge USB tuner. I think it will work with eyetv on the Mac..Anyway, that's what I have..What I want is to replace it, because while I love Windows 7 and Lightroom and Photoshop, I think managing photos with iPhoto is a lot better than Live Photo Gallery and iMovie/iDvd are great too. Basically, it's those few apps on the Mac that make me want one.

So I was debating on if I should just get a Mac laptop to use those apps and keep my Dell, or if I should replace my Dell with an iMac or Mac Pro. I was thinking that the iLife apps would run good on a laptop, but I like sitting at my desk to edit video and photos, so the portability of a laptop for that wouldn't be as good.. I thought maybe Mac Pro, but that is too expensive, I could almost get an iMac AND a Macbook for the price of one mac pro and since I don't have a laptop currently, I'd like one for web surfing on the couch and stuff.

Is there a question there? I think it's that what would be the better combo? iMac + MB? or Mac Pro?

2. moviebrain macrumors member

unibody macbook + minidisplayport to whatever your dell monitor uses for a video connection sounds about right for what you want. Maybe throw in a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo for good measure. Then you don't have to buy an iMac to use on your desktop and don't have to toss out your dell computer either.

3. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

uMB with a wireless keyboard and mouse (not mighty mouse) and then i think it will be a mini vga or dvi port cable to hook up to your dells monitor when the need be [​IMG]

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The Mac Pro will be overkill for what you want to do. There are some nice deals on both macbooks (I agree with the previous posters that a unibody macbook would be the way to go - great price and spectacular look) and iMacs in the refurb store. Now, before you shrink away at the thought of refurbs :p, apple is renown for uber-quality refurbs - do a mroogle search for refub and you'll find a ton of fans. You'll save more than enough to add a new ipod to the family, too.

5. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Definitely don't shrink towards the refurb store. Every Mac I've ever bought has been refurb, so I'm definitely going to go there. The thing about the laptop is that I have used the unibody and I've used an iMac aluminum and the iMac still seems faster. I think it's the hard drive rpm or something, because the iMacs scream, while the MBP's are adequete, but aren't as fast. I was thinking maybe $999 MBP refurb or MBA for $1099 + $1299 iMac. So that's still the same price as a Mac Pro. I definitely want a laptop and am thinking maybe I get that first and then get a desktop a little later to replace the Dell...

My other thought is that since the reason I want a mac is because of the editing, if I shouldn't just get the desktop right away, since it will have more storage and be faster.

6. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Why dont you get the top spec 15" MacBook Pro and just use it with the Dell monitor when at a desk?

7. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Now that's an option. I just have used the unibody's before and wasn't as satisfied with their performance compared to an iMac or Mac Pro.

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

An iMac and a Macbook Pro use almost the exact same components except for the hard drive and the video card. Other than that, an iMac just makes you sit at a desk, while a Macbook Pro will allow to go anywhere. Mac Pros are a different story.

9. jdizzle299 macrumors newbie

iMac+MB? Or Mac Pro?

It's just a question if you want laptop or desktop. You definitely don't need a Mac Pro. Go for either a iMac or MBP with around 2.66 - 2.8 ghz and a good hard drive and you'll be fine. On the iMac, you can get 1 TB, but the MBP only supports 500 Gb from the apple store. (on macsales.com they sell 750 gb ones for the MBP.)

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The air is going to feel downright pokey (it did to me...). Since you don't seem to have a compelling need for the uber-small, uber-lightness, go for the MBP.