iMac + MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vp911, Feb 26, 2008.

1. vp911 macrumors member

I've been struggling to decide for several weeks.

Here is what I'm considering:

Either the MBP (15") or iMac and Refurbished MB.

Key things:

1. I wanted a lighter laptop because I have a bad back and carry around a laptop quite a bit; however, the MB is only 0.5lbs lighter than the MBP.

2. I wanted the iMac so I can scan all my documents and save them on the PC. I wouldn't want these docs on the laptop - if I were to lose the laptop, all that data is in the open. This is apparently easily solved by using a network share on the laptop and saving the scanned files to the network. I assume, just like Windows, I can keep the MB from auto connecting to the network share - and be forced to enter a password.

3. Battery life is essential on the laptop. I will get the newertech external charger and one or two spare batteries (hence the MBA is out)

4. I do not play games/video editing, etc. so the graphics card isn't a big deal to me.

Advice?

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

Really depends on what you are going to do with it. Based on the content of your post, it sounds like the MacBook Pro might be overkill for you.

Or...you could just scan them on the MacBook, copy them to your .Mac account and then bring them down to your PC using the iDisk Utility for Windows. Don't even need a network share. Or there are other direct file transfer utilities out there that bypass the need for a "middle man" like a shared drive. Just a thought.

Or...can't you scan directly to the PC?

Again...sounds like a point for the MacBook.

Another point for the MacBook.

So, if you really need a desktop too I'd go the iMac and MacBook route myself.

SCR

3. vp911 thread starter macrumors member

The only reason I'd go for the MBP is because of the resolution. I'm used to being able to have multiple windows open at once.

I won't have a .Mac account. We have plenty of servers I can share a drive from. When I said all this, I really meant just a place to store the docs securely - just in the event the laptop is stolen/lost.

Err, when I say PC, I meant the Mac. These will be my first Macs and I'm dumping my Windows laptop to the curb. I've been due for an update and have been waiting for the new MBP to see what would be offered hoping it would be an easier decision.

I wouldn't say I need the desktop. In fact, I haven't used a desktop in probably three years. I've been operating on a laptop since then... but now it's more of a decision of size.

4. MLeepson macrumors 6502

You could also get an iMac and get a MacBook Air (if you have the money). The Air has been described as a supplement computer. And, if you have a bad back, it'll be like carrying...well...Air. Haha

5. vp911 thread starter macrumors member

I ruled that out due to not being able to swap the battery. Battery life is crucial as I can be away from a plug for 8 hours at a time.

6. MLeepson macrumors 6502

That's reasonable. Oh, woops, you said that already. Sorry :eek:

You said you need a lot of space but have a bad back.

You could get a MacBook and just get an external HD.

What type of work will you be doing?

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Why not get the better laptop and an older desktop? If you're going to be using your laptop it makes sense to get a good one. If the desktop is simply for working with your documents, an older iMac (white) would be perfect.

8. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I had a MacBook and an iMac for a while and while it was nice to have a desktop and portable I found that after some time it was rather annoying to try and remember where I had saved a document or something...and I had no music on the MacBook which wasn't fun for when I wanted it with me...I ended up selling my iMac because I just didn't need it.

I'd say go with a MacBook Pro.

9. vp911 thread starter macrumors member

10. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

if i could i'd go for the imac + macbook.

the imac for gaming and home photo editing. the macbook for travel and if necessary photo editing. adobe photoshop and lightroom use CPU, HDD and RAM anyway not VRAM so it's just as fast in the macbook as it is in the MBP

11. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I'd go with the Macbook/iMac route. You seem to want to do about the same I do and right now I'm in phase 2 of 3 which is searching now for a macbook to buy. I do miss the portability but it is nice to have the power on the desktop.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

If you can afford it. I would go with the iMac/Macbook combo.

You get the best of both worlds.

Portability with macbook. Bigger screen with iMac.

13. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

i see you've got both! lucky guy :)

14. vp911 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry didn't see the question previously.

Nothing crazy. E-mail (entrouge), browsing, remote desktop to access the windows servers and terminal. Of course Adium. Occasionally I will use dreamweaver or photoshop, but not extensively.