iMac + MB vs. MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by liquidtrend, Sep 9, 2008.

1. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

ive had my eyes set on a MBP for some time now, and my little cookie jar is just about filled (good timing too if i say so).

but recently, ive been throwing around different specs in different machines on the website (as most first time owners do) over and over again.

ive noticed that for the price of the MBP ive built to fill my needs (and wants), i could own a 24" iMac with similar specs (better specs), AND i could throw in an average MB to use to shuffle around (almost for the same price, maybe a handful hundred more). This came to be for the sheer fact that i dont believe i would be doing any heavy graphics or video editing while taking my dog out to the dog park or while im on a trip, so the need for the MBP can be fulfilled with a larger and more powerful desktop unit, still giving me the portability of a laptop when using the MB for whatever other reason i would need.

iMac 24" 3.06 and 13" white 2.4
    or
    15" 2.6 MBP
    (specs subject to change within a month)​

any advice on things to think about or look for?

2. kenned macrumors member

Well, if you go with the iMac + Macbook solution, you would have to constantly sync files between the 2 computers. But ofcourse you would have a more powerfull computer with the iMac.

If you go with the MBP you could get an external display so you wouldn't have to worry about screensize.

Just my thoughts :rolleyes:

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

File syncing?

I would go with the MBP so that I can have everything in 1 machine. Whether, I'm browsing the web on my couch or going on a trip. I don't want to deal with syncing files and the possibility of a bad sync.

But that's me :)

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I nearly did the the same thing when I purchased my MBP. At the time, however, we only needed one computer, so my wife and I went with the MBP. No real regrets, though we sometimes wish we had a better desktop for those times when one of us it carrying the MBP for school/work.

5. Entourage12 macrumors member

It all depends on what you want to use the two computers for. I bought the 24" 2.4 iMac refurbed for $1299 and then plan to get a Macbook when they are re-released in the next month or so.

While waiting i've had the chance to have a 17" MBP that is my dad's and i'm just using it for class until I get my macbook and to be honest.. if these computers have completely different uses to you then you will never have to sync anything..

My iMac is set up to be a media center/gaming/whatever that takes the more power and my Macbook is pretty much just for taking notes, nothing too important that will ever need to be put over onto the other computer.

Maybe it also helps that I have a 1TB hard drive synced to both of them.

Dont shut out the option of the 2 computers because remember you're getting them both for the price of one.

6. liquidtrend thread starter macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

would syncing be much of a problem?
    im not aware of many files i would want/need on both machines.
    is there something im maybe overlooking?
    and couldnt i set up an external drive on my network to house all the files i would want/need to sync?

the imac would be my work solution, using adobe cs and allowing me to bootcamp when needed.

my mb would be my school solution for documentation files etc.

the all in one solution is really nice, but aesthetically a 15" isnt a "sweet" as a 24".

and yes, an external monitor would be an easy solution, but then that would bring in a larger price quote.

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

why not just save the money and buy the iMac... use the extra on an external HDD and some other phone stuff (iPods, etc..)

8. liquidtrend thread starter macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i would want something for portability as well.
    im starting to get frustrated with my 4 year old hp laptop (although its been good to me).

the external hdd and other stuff has already been fulfilled.
    and my car has recently been checked up.
    so my piggy bank is all for the new machine(s).

the imac and mb are starting to look better than just the mbp, and now the biggest issue is letting my gf know ive saved THAT much money instead of taking her out on those dates ive promised her...

9. pointycollars macrumors regular

I'd say get the MBP - and instead of going for the 2.6, use that money to max out the RAM. I don't think you're going to notice much performance difference between the 2.4, 2.5 or 2.6 so in my opinion it's kind of a waste of money. If you get your RAM from somewhere other than apple, you'll save even more money - so you can get a sweet new MBP and take your girlfriend out on dates. :)

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

How about saving your money by buying just a MacBook?

It will meet your needs more than competently and if you wanted you could spend some of the saved money on a nice 20" display for your desk at home. Much better solution IMO.

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I owned a MacBook and a 24" iMac.

My friend's iMac G3 failed and I am planning to move to a Mac Pro, so I wanted a more powerful and capable portable (my MacBook was a Mk. I Core Duo). So I sold my friend my MacBook and sold my iMac on eBay. I then purchased an MBP and a Dell 2408FPW.

I have to say my MBP seems as fast as my iMac. And I enjoy having a more powerful portable. And I love not having to sync my data across machines, even though MobileMe and OS X make it relatively painless.

So I would recommend you get the MBP and a nice external display.

12. pointycollars macrumors regular

OP:

What do you do for a living? You mentioned you were using Adobe CS.

To the person who suggested MB only: I think if he's using Adobe CS a more powerful machine with better graphics and a larger screen would be much better. The MB is just too weak for that kind of work.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook has the same CPU as MacBook Pro and as far as I'm aware none of the CS applications use the GPU at all. The performance on the two machines will be equal.

14. pointycollars macrumors regular

It depends on what adobe apps he's using, which is why I asked. Certain effects and filters used in Adobe CS3 in AfterEffects and Photoshop do actually make use of GPU acceleration, which is supposed to be even better in CS4. The MBP can also hold more RAM than a MB (up to 4 gb), which significantly helps performance on CS apps.

Regardless of all that, personally, I don't think I'd want to do CS work on a 13" screen. :)

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

16. liquidtrend thread starter macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i contract to a couple large computer companies and a couple of animation companies.

the mb alone wouldnt do the job IMO. i definatly need the graphics processor.

although i have a macpro in office, i would like a fairly powerful machine at home for when i stay in. understanding certain renderings will take time compaired to an octo core macpro vs. an imac or mbp, i would much rather have that extra difference between that and the mb.

i would be doing some mid range to low high end pieces of work when it comes to photoshop or illustrator, and i would be using mid level work for premiere.

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

No offense, but you don't know too much about the Macbook.

18. liquidtrend thread starter macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i see where you are coming from, but i feel as though a separate graphics card is very much needed in my line of work.

i would choose the imac for work purposes and use the macbook for everything else.

or i can just go all in one and get a mbp...but i would lose possible graphic speeds and a larger display.

19. liquidtrend thread starter macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

the cs3 i use on my unit at work does rely on the gpu, and i have heard that cs4 will be using a large portion of a gpu if available for work load.

the macbook is a powerful device for its class, but can it take the amount of work needed to do what i need it to do, i dont think i could do that alone with just a mb?

20. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

you could always surprise her with a nice gift and treat yourself to just the iMac -- everyone wins.