Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hb13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
iMac + MBA Combo or MBP?

I know, another buying advice post...

Currently have a mid-2011 MBA 240GB SSD, but I'm running out of HD space. I use it between work, home and school. Primarily it is used for writing, emails, photoshop, web and graphic design, and photography. We recently ditched cable and Netflix DVDs so it's also becoming more of a entertainment device. I have a 2TB Time Capsule and several other TB external drives; which is where all of my movies and some of my music is stored. I already have a 24" external monitor, Apple wireless keyboard, Magic Mouse and Touchpad that I use the MBA on in my home office. When I take it to my office for work, I usually just work on it by itself (I work more at home than at the office). Typically when I travel, I just take my iPad (unless I plan to do design work on the go).

I know I could potentially just upgrade to 480GB SSD for $600, but with a 2011, I'd rather invest that $600 into a new computer with the space already.

My question is should I get the new 21" iMac with fusion drive to combo with the MBA + iPad with the plan to get a rMBP in a few years? Or should I get a MBP (non-retina, I need the HD space) when they potentially refresh to Haswell here is a few weeks? I'm struggling to determine if it's a benefit to have the iMac to act as a desktop or the MBP as a desktop with an option to go mobile?

posted this in both iMac & MBP forums to curtail bias.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
iMac + MBA Combo or MBP?

I know, another buying advice post...

Currently have a mid-2011 MBA 240GB SSD, but I'm running out of HD space. I use it between work, home and school. Primarily it is used for writing, emails, photoshop, web and graphic design, and photography. We recently ditched cable and Netflix DVDs so it's also becoming more of a entertainment device. I have a 2TB Time Capsule and several other TB external drives; which is where all of my movies and some of my music is stored. I already have a 24" external monitor, Apple wireless keyboard, Magic Mouse and Touchpad that I use the MBA on in my home office. When I take it to my office for work, I usually just work on it by itself (I work more at home than at the office). Typically when I travel, I just take my iPad (unless I plan to do design work on the go).

I know I could potentially just upgrade to 480GB SSD for $600, but with a 2011, I'd rather invest that $600 into a new computer with the space already.

My question is should I get the new 21" iMac with fusion drive to combo with the MBA + iPad with the plan to get a rMBP in a few years? Or should I get a MBP (non-retina, I need the HD space) when they potentially refresh to Haswell here is a few weeks? I'm struggling to determine if it's a benefit to have the iMac to act as a desktop or the MBP as a desktop with an option to go mobile?

posted this in both iMac & MBP forums to curtail bias.

As you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse then why not go with a high spec Mac mini?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

It is entirely possible that the non-retina MBP (cMBP) will not be upgraded to haswell and may be dropped all together.

I would say if the rMBP isn't an option for you that the MBA and an iMac would work for your needs. I've always wanted an iMac, but as a college student I like the portability. If you can afford a little extra for the fusion drive, I understand that it's worth it if you can't do full solid state.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
Speaking of a Imac laptop combo... What would be the best way to keep both macs in sync? So if I work on 1 the stuff on the other will update. Would it be best for me to just get a rmbp and a thunderbolt display?

hb13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
As you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse then why not go with a high spec Mac mini?

This is something I considered, and am still considering it as an option. I'm more questioning what would be preferred in the desktop vs laptop concept arena. I do appreciate the advice, and may get a Mac Mini if I go the desktop route.

----------

It is entirely possible that the non-retina MBP (cMBP) will not be upgraded to haswell and may be dropped all together.

I would say if the rMBP isn't an option for you that the MBA and an iMac would work for your needs. I've always wanted an iMac, but as a college student I like the portability. If you can afford a little extra for the fusion drive, I understand that it's worth it if you can't do full solid state.

Very true. Apple seems to be fazing the non-retina MBP and I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it as an option this next update. I would definitely go the fusion drive route as my MBA has ruined me from traditional drives. Hopefully SSD prices continue to drop.

----------

Speaking of a Imac laptop combo... What would be the best way to keep both macs in sync? So if I work on 1 the stuff on the other will update. Would it be best for me to just get a rmbp and a thunderbolt display?

If I go the iMac + MBA route, I plan to keep the two synced through Dropbox, iCloud, networked drives and a thunderbolt cable.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
If the MBA handles all that you need, with the only issue being storage, I see no need to get an iMac. Depending on how you have your files organized, it may be more of a hassle having to move files back and forth between your air and iMac unless they are synced in some way.

I personally prefer having one device for my needs, and all my stuff in a single place. I would suggest the MBP. It has the capability to be portable when needed, powerful, and upgradeable internals (standard 2.5" HDD or SSD for example)

hb13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
If the MBA handles all that you need, with the only issue being storage, I see no need to get an iMac. Depending on how you have your files organized, it may be more of a hassle having to move files back and forth between your air and iMac unless they are synced in some way.

I personally prefer having one device for my needs, and all my stuff in a single place. I would suggest the MBP. It has the capability to be portable when needed, powerful, and upgradeable internals (standard 2.5" HDD or SSD for example)

This is really my dilemma. I would prefer it all to be in one device, but for my usage (such as the photography, videos and music) doesn't need to be everywhere with me, but on a backed up device somewhere.

----------

you can always use back to my mac to access files on the other machine.

Yes, this was the missing piece I was wanting and didn't know I needed. I've never had two Macs before, and this is something that would be extremely useful. Thank you!

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I have an MB Air and a mini. It's a real pain in the @$$ to try and remember which has the newer files or the added music/movies, new bookmarks, etc. I'm turning the mini over to the wife and child and I will buy a rMBP and do everything on the one machine. As easy as Apple makes it sound to sync your devices, the process sucks. Frustrating at best.
Also, I will keep my ipad because I don't do much with it except as a mobile repository for videos on the go. I keep no data on it to speak of.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
This is really my dilemma. I would prefer it all to be in one device, but for my usage (such as the photography, videos and music) doesn't need to be everywhere with me, but on a backed up device somewhere.

So if you were to get the iMac, would you use your air at all? Since you have your iPad for portability, and the iMac for your main uses, what will become of the air?

hb13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Why not just a new MBA with 512GB SSD?

I thought about this, but I have come to find out that the fuller spec-ed MBAs depreciate more and I'd rather get more bang for my buck when I go sell it down the road. I'd rather get what I need and get out.

----------

So if you were to get the iMac, would you use your air at all? Since you have your iPad for portability, and the iMac for your main uses, what will become of the air?

Yes. I'd use it a lot for work and travel. My iPad is primarily a consumption device for me.

hb13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks everyone for taking the time to voice your insights! I just put in an order for a new 21.5" iMac with Fusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.