iMac / MBA for windows/parallels

Discussion in 'iMac' started by evilpaddy, Jun 25, 2013.

1. evilpaddy macrumors regular

Quick question!

I am looking to purchase either some macbook airs or iMacs to be used at work. Regrettably the software we use is windows only which will necessitate either booting into windows or running parallels.

I know that parallels will work fine, but I will likely end up just using Windows and will be forced to use bootcamp. I know that my rMBP doesn't look the best in a windows environment and would be grateful for your opinions on what the others look like in a native windows environment. Unfortunately the medical software that we use wont be ported.

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Given what you will be doing & the tools you will be working with it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to use a Mac.

3. Fulltopuk macrumors newbie

2012 iMac 21.5" running parallels works great for me. I have an XP VM with two additional monitors running from Thunderbolt ports and cannot say there has been any limitations in usage. I tried VMware and it could not do the multiple monitors and I use Coherence mostly but can resort to full screen if necessary. I think the only time you could be limited by the mac setup is if you are connecting to hardware which could run into driver problems.

One other thing though - If you are using medical software which is now classed as a medical device in its own right, you may need to check with the software house to ensure it doesn't affect the validation and compliance.

Otherwise go for it.

Fulltopuk

4. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed, but my personal network consisting of two servers, a 15TB RAID array and three personal computers is entirely OSX/linux derived. Given that the stock will be rotated, I'm keen to keep things simple.