iMac, MBP, ACD, Keyboards Qssssss

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacHiavelli, Oct 3, 2007.

1. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Advice please. :)

I currently have 2 Windows XP desktops and 2 Windows XP laptops I use for work. One desktop acts like a server (though it is only running XP Professional) – it stores all the work files (Word, Excel, Access, PDF) and all the (changed) files from this PC are backup up every 4 minutes to an external USB drive.

I want to replace one of the desktops with a Mac. The Mac needs to be able to read and write to the files on the “server” so they can be copied to the back-up drive automatically. The Mac will not store any files at all.

I will need to run Windows on the Mac (because of the Access databases) and will probably go for Boot Camp initially and then VMware Fusion, when I am up to speed with OSX.

In an ideal world, I’d like a 24 inch iMac, but I really want portability as well so that I can move to another room and still have access to all the files, especially my email which is checked (and gets messages) every 3 minutes. An iMac and MacBook would be okay in theory, but I have the problem of having my email account trying to follow me around, so logic leads me to think it best to get a 17” MacBook Pro, a 23” external screen (for when I am at my main desk) with an external keyboard and mouse.

Just wondered if anyone had any insights or opinions on such a set-up.

Is it “best” to match the MBP with an ACD or would it be okay to get an external screen from Dell or another manufacturer.

When buying keyboards, what is the difference between English and International English? I’m in the UK.

With thanks

Machiavelli

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

You can use just about any screen, and unless you are doing high-end colour work the ACDs are (frankly) way over prices and under speced. A Dell would work fine. However... the mini dvi port will require an adaptor. The Mac Book Pro included this, but the Mac Book does not - you have to buy it.

Running Windows - Go for VMWare. It is very easy to set up and runs just fine. No mucking about rebooting.

Keyboard layout - English is the US layout. International English give you those little things like the £ symbol on the "3" key. More or less the layout you are used to. Note that the # symbol is not present (which is a real pain if you are doing programming). You have to use alt+3 to generate that one.

As for mail... I've been looking at the new iPod touch. With WiFi access and the Safari web browser I should be able to use the web mail interface for my accounts via a neat little device... So parhaps an iMac and a band new iPod touch would do the trick?

3. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Many thanks - so I need an Intl Eng keyboard. OK. Will also look at the Dell panels - anyone got a model number they could recommend. About 24" would be ideal.

Not sure about the iPod touch... I'd then have to move emails from machine to machine and with my clumsy hands I doubt I could use a touch screen very well ;-(

4. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I'm running a BenQ 241W 24 inch display. Dells is less expensive, but the 241W is superb. I've got a little USB DTV receiver hooked up to my Mac Pro and the picture quality is fantastic. DVD playback is good too. I do a lot of black and white technical illustrations - so I don't need perfect colour managment.

5. emil2007 macrumors newbie

Hmmmm I've been wondering about keyboards because I'm in the UK but I want to buy a US-layout keyboard as it's what I'm used to. Someone told me that the "English" keyb that the Apple Store UK sells is the British layout (with the silly L-shaped enter key.) They thought the "International English" layout was the American layout.

Emil

6. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Many thanks for the screen advice. Have never thought about adding a TV tuner... could be useful at times. Will have to take a look at what is available/recommended.