iMac + MBP + AirPort Ex = Slow internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by azscp, Apr 28, 2007.

1. azscp macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to Mac's. I have a 20" core 2 duo iMac and I just bought a Macbook Pro. I also bought an Airport extreme base station. But it seems my internet is running much slower now. I want to say a third (1/3) slower as noted in my download speeds.

The imac is wired to the base station and even when the MBP isn't on, its still slow. Any Ideas as to what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Steve

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Plug the etherent connection from your ISP directly into one of your Macs and see if it makes a difference. Maybe its not the equipment? Also, it may be a good idea to grab the DNS numbers from your ISP. Sometimes Macs don't do DNS properly unless you put in the DNS numbers. That may make browsing faster.

3. Nico&Mac macrumors newbie

slow internet on mac OS X 10.4.10

Help!

I have an iMac G3 and a Powermac G5 at home, a MacMini G4 at work, a Powerbook G4 and MacBook Intel. All running 10.4.10 and all the latest updates. At home I have a wired Cable internet connection on the G5 of 1500 mbps down and 250 up, same speed at work except there it is ADSL and a wireless network (different provider). Since about one week I am experiencing on all my Mac's both home and at work extreme slow internet connections. At speedtest it shows download speeds of 30 KByte/sec (240kbps) where it used to be well over 120 KByte/sec (1000 kbps). And uploadspeeds of 7 KByte/sec (61 kbps) versus normaly 30 KByte/sec (240 kbps). Sometimes even much slower, to the point of timeouts And pings of 7 to 12 ms. It happens on all my macs with any browser, wired and wireless on both locations. I've tried all settings, renewed the preferences, reconfigured internet acces and many more tips found on several forums. Apple refuses to help because al tec help on my machines expired so they say.
    What is going on?

Nico