Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niggiebro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
I'm not to familiar with my iMac, although I am a IT Professional when it comes to PC's.

Every now and then my iMac hangs, usually when using my web browser, and especially using a download prog., like LimeWire.

I also get some memory error messages, but since then I've add more RAM and adjusted my virtual memory to 2 times the amount of my physical memory, (192 MB). CPU speed is 400Mhz, disk is 10GB and using less than 1/4 of space.

Question is the best way to resolve the problem, by tweaking something!

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
It sounds like you're using Mac OS 9, given that you've been getting out of memory errors and that you increased the allotted amount of virtual memory. (A confirmation of this would be nice, just to make sure. :) )

When you mention web browsers, the first thing that pops into my mind is Netscape 4.x . Netscape Communicator (and maybe even the standalone Navigator) has a NOTORIOUS problem for hanging at random when loading web pages.

If you're always using Netscape when the hang happens, then it's probably this problem. I'd suggest using some other browser. On Mac OS 9, I think that Mozilla would probably be your best bet.

There are some other standard troubleshooting things you can try, like turning off all unnecessary extensions (by going to the Extensions Manager control panel and selecting "Mac OS 9.x.x Base", then restarting), zapping the PRAM (restart, immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R, and wait for 4 startup chimes), or rebuilding your desktop file (restart, hold down the Command and Option keys after the initial startup progress bar has completed).

Let us know if any of those potential solutions correct the hanging problem you're experiencing.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
you probably don't need to turn up your virtual memory that high. select the apps that are crashing and for each one, hit apple-i to "get info". then increase the minimum and preferred memory sizes for the applications themselves. this should help out more than simply increasing the virtual memory of the system.

niggiebro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
you probably don't need to turn up your virtual memory that high. select the apps that are crashing and for each one, hit apple-i to "get info". then increase the minimum and preferred memory sizes for the applications themselves. this should help out more than simply increasing the virtual memory of the system.

Thanks for the info! I'll trying that! Being that I am not to familiar with Macintosh! I'm glad that I found this site!!!
I'm more familiar with PC's and if anyone of you should need any help with PC's, don't hesitate to ask! :D

FYI, I use IE more than Netscape! As for the Virtual Memory, I'll set it to default.

I also did zapped the PRAM, but the result was the same, thanks.
I'll also try turning off unnecessary extensions.

niggiebro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
Originally posted by FattyMembrane

simX,
Your suggestions helpped out a lot. My web browser works a lot quicker, thank you!

Fatty Membrane,
I couldn't do any mods on the memory for each apps. I did what you said, as-far-as, using Apple-i to get info, but I did not find any options to, "increase the minimum and preferred memory sizes".

I'll PM you regarding this matter, it may be faster, thanks!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by niggiebro
simX,
Your suggestions helpped out a lot. My web browser works a lot quicker, thank you!

Fatty Membrane,
I couldn't do any mods on the memory for each apps. I did what you said, as-far-as, using Apple-i to get info, but I did not find any options to, "increase the minimum and preferred memory sizes".

I'll PM you regarding this matter, it may be faster, thanks!

You may have to use a drop-down menu to select "memory", it's been a while since i've used 9...

The other problem you could be having is that OS 9 is succeptable to memory leaks, you may be familiar with them, it's when a program takes memory and forgets to give it back, then takes some more. Eventually a memory leak could take up all real RAM and VM, but it's unlikely.

btw nice nickname :cool:

pnw

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by paulwhannel
You may have to use a drop-down menu to select "memory", it's been a while since i've used 9...

The other problem you could be having is that OS 9 is succeptable to memory leaks, you may be familiar with them, it's when a program takes memory and forgets to give it back, then takes some more. Eventually a memory leak could take up all real RAM and VM, but it's unlikely.

btw nice nickname :cool:

pnw

Yeah, I believe you do have to use the drop-down menu. I think the drop-down menu has "General Information", "Permissions/Ownership", and "Memory". Select "Memory", and then do the steps that FattyMembrane recommended.

Oh, and memory leaks aren't limited to Mac OS 9 only. I know of many programs on Mac OS X that do the same. :) You could easily get a program to suck up all available RAM and bring OS X to an (almost) screeching halt.

Yeesh, it always takes me a few minutes to remember how to do things in Mac OS 9. Mac OS X is just so much easier -- how did I ever survive? Eek.

niggiebro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
Originally posted by simX
Yeah, I believe you do have to use the drop-down menu. I think the drop-down menu has "General Information", "Permissions/Ownership", and "Memory". Select "Memory", and then do the steps that FattyMembrane recommended.

Oh, and memory leaks aren't limited to Mac OS 9 only. I know of many programs on Mac OS X that do the same. :) You could easily get a program to suck up all available RAM and bring OS X to an (almost) screeching halt.

Yeesh, it always takes me a few minutes to remember how to do things in Mac OS 9. Mac OS X is just so much easier -- how did I ever survive? Eek.

Thanks you guys for all your help!
I thought that maybe it would be in a drop down, but the only two that are available are the, Show: "General Information" and Label: "None". When I drop down the "Show:" there is nothing else, but "General Information", do I need to login as Administrator as in a Windows Base system??? :confused: paulwhannel you maybe right about having a memory leak! It has the characteristics of a memory leak, I mean I'm running 256MB of RAM and only using about 1/4 of my 10GB HDD. As I had said before, modifying the extensions did help!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Back when we would have problems with memory leakages in my highschool, since we couldn't isolate the problem (it was probably that damn darkside software), we used a little program called MacOS Purge. I can't find it on versiontracker but it might be on the web. Don't know if it will run in 9, these were system 7 machines... but you just double-clicked it every once in a while, and it flushed out the system's unused RAM. Might be helpful in diagnosing whether it's a memory leak...

unfortunately my usage of OS 9 is... nonexistant anymore, i couldn't walk you through an easy solution. A reinstall might be good if you can manage it... kind of a pain in the ass tho...

pnw

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
fools!

right click (or control click) on the actual application icon, then go to get info-> memory, and double whatever is listed.

If this doesn't help, re-install OS 9 and if you still have problems, you must have a hardware issue, likely with your RAM.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by Mblazened
fools!

right click (or control click) on the actual application icon, then go to get info-> memory, and double whatever is listed.

If this doesn't help, re-install OS 9 and if you still have problems, you must have a hardware issue, likely with your RAM.

Uh, right-clicking and using the contextual menu is the same thing as getting info on the application icon by using Command-I. There should be a drop-down menu to select. Can you post a screenshot of the get info window, niggiebro? That would help a lot in diagnosing the problem.

As for Mac OS Purge, feel free to download it from my .mac account, which you can do here; I did a quick Google search and couldn't find a working link, so I figured I'd help you out. Now I guess I know why I archive all my installers on CDs... :)

niggiebro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
simX,

Thanks for the download! I have 2 questions, (1) how do you take a screenshot of an item so I could post it? and (2) the program, "macOS purge", after extracting it and running it all it does is open up, "About this Computer", showing the RAM usage. There are no options to do any mods or adjustments!

OOH I get it! It shows you what apps are running and if it show other apps that are not open, there's you memory leak! RIGHT! Kinda like, "Task Manager", in MS Windows!

If you can let me know how to do that, "screenshot" so I could post it, thanks!

Oh yeah Mblazened, if I had a mouse that had a right or alternate click option on it, maybe I would have consider it, thanks!

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
simX,

Thanks for the download! I have 2 questions, (1) how do you take a screenshot of an item so I could post it? and (2) the program, "macOS purge", after extracting it and running it all it does is open up, "About this Computer", showing the RAM usage. There are no options to do any mods or adjustments!

OOH I get it! It shows you what apps are running and if it show other apps that are not open, there's you memory leak! RIGHT! Kinda like, "Task Manager", in MS Windows!

The "About this Computer" window shows the RAM usage, like you said. But programs that aren't running will never show up in there. It's just that sometimes a program can start using up hundreds of megabytes of memory (if you have that much), and that's usually a sign of a memory leak if it's a small program.

I found that Mac OS Purge really didn't do much when I used Mac OS 9, but when it opens the "About this Computer" window, you should see the memory usage of your open applications dip down a bit -- you have to really be looking to notice it. So it just does all its stuff in a few seconds; you might want to run it often just to see if it helps for you. Personally, I didn't find that it helped much, but it could be different in your case.

If you can let me know how to do that, "screenshot" so I could post it, thanks!

As pseudobrit says, simply press Command-Shift-3. A new file named "Picture 1" will be placed at the root level of your hard drive (so if your hard drive is named "Macintosh HD", just open it up and you should see the file there). If you take another, it'll be named "Picture 2". (Note that sometimes this is confusing, because if you move out your original "Picture 1", but leave "Picture 2" and take another screenshot, "Picture 1" will be created again, instead of "Picture 3").

If you want to take a picture of just part of the screen, press Command-Shift-4, and then drag from the top-left corner of where you want to take a shot to the bottom-right corner. This is useful in showing only the useful information in a screenshot, but sometimes you might want to just do the whole-screen screenshot to show context.

Then, when posting, simply use the Attach File feature in the forums, and you can show us the screenshot.

Oh yeah Mblazened, if I had a mouse that had a right or alternate click option on it, maybe I would have consider it, thanks!

Control-clicking is the same as right-clicking, just so you know. You can access all the contextual menus using a one-button mouse by using this method.

niggiebro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
simX,

I got the screenshot showing my IE, but I seem to be having alittle uploading the image. I changed the format from SimpleText to both .bmp and .jpeg, but for what ever reason the MacForum server does not recognize them to be the valid format!!! :mad:

Oh yeah sorry I took long in posting a reply, my ISP was down! :( If you have any suggestions on how to upload the images, please post. FYI, I used Painting in Apple 6 to save my images to .bmp and .jpeg.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Make sure you are getting information on the actual application and not an alias of that application. If it's an alias when you control click on it it will have an option to show original. Also you have to have the Apple closed when adjusting memory it will not let you do it with the app open.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
I've never heard of "Painting in Apple 6". What program is that?

You might try using Picture Viewer (which should be in the standard QuickTime folder) to save your picture files (which are actually in PICT format) as a JPEG/GIF/PNG file, instead of Painting in Apple 6 (or whatever that is :) ).

niggiebro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
Originally posted by simX
I've never heard of "Painting in Apple 6". What program is that?

You might try using Picture Viewer (which should be in the standard QuickTime folder) to save your picture files (which are actually in PICT format) as a JPEG/GIF/PNG file, instead of Painting in Apple 6 (or whatever that is :) ).

I ment AppleWorks 6, (Painting) option. The images are saved as QT images and open with Picture Viewer as .bmp and .jpeg I just don't understand why the server not recognizing them as such :confused:

niggiebro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
Originally posted by MacBandit
Make sure you are getting information on the actual application and not an alias of that application. If it's an alias when you control click on it it will have an option to show original. Also you have to have the Apple closed when adjusting memory it will not let you do it with the app open.

Hey MacBandit,

Thanks for pointing that out!!! I was using the comand-i option on the aliases! :D

Ok guys I think I got it from here, thanks again!!! :p If I should have any more problems, you'll be hearing from! ;)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Hey MacBandit,

Thanks for pointing that out!!! I was using the comand-i option on the aliases! :D

Ok guys I think I got it from here, thanks again!!! :p If I should have any more problems, you'll be hearing from! ;)

Cool glad I could help. Anytime you have any questions you can always PM me also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.