Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I am ordering my first iMac. It will be the 2.4 24". I plan on just ordering it with 1gb of ram, then replacing it with 2x2gb from OWC. The question I have is what do I do with the 1gb that comes with the iMac?

Thanks

Bob

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Just put it away in case you ever need to have the Mac serviced, you'll want to put in the original RAM stick, otherwise Apple will most likely blame the problem on 3rd party RAM.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I am ordering my first iMac. It will be the 2.4 24". I plan on just ordering it with 1gb of ram, then replacing it with 2x2gb from OWC. The question I have is what do I do with the 1gb that comes with the iMac?

Thanks

Bob
Send it back to OWC for a rebate, or sell it (on eBay, or maybe on the boards at MR).

Or you could keep it, just in case (as iBookG4user suggested).

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica

Thanks

Bob

Hi,

If there's another intel mac nearby use it on that one, or sell it really cheap to a friend or something; there's always eBay! hehe

-Victor

sarah3585

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
I'm thinking of doing the same, but can i put the spare 1gb in my macbook 2.0GHz (13.3-inch Intel Core 2 Duo)?

xpisnotforme

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007
uh huh

Yeah, I have the same setup and it's awesome.....pop in 2X2GB modules in the imac 24" and replace one of the 2X512MB sticks in your 2GhZ Macbook with the 1GB stick. Resale of a 512mb stick on ebay? neglibible compared to the safety of doing as has been mentioned in the event of warranty service. Ram it!

redraidermacman

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I ordered my memory from OWC on monday and got standard shipping and it got here today before noon, amazingly fast, i even looked at my order status last night and it didnt even show shipped yet, havent installed the memory yet, but will post more once i have it installed and everything....

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I picked up my new iMac on Monday. I ordered the memory on Monday from OWC and it arrived today. Very fast delivery.

After I installed it, and turned my computer back on I got some very load, not so friendsly beeps and the computer did not start up. I pulled out the new cards and re-installed them and everything came up and it showed the added memory in About this Mac.

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but my internet is REAL slow.

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
I bought a stock 24" 2.4 with 1gb just over a week ago, tried to live with 1gb for all of 4 days before ordering up 2x2gb from microdirect (uk)

oh man I have seen the light!

redraidermacman

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I ordered my memory from OWC on monday and got standard shipping and it got here today before noon, amazingly fast, i even looked at my order status last night and it didnt even show shipped yet, havent installed the memory yet, but will post more once i have it installed and everything....

installed the new memory in about 5 mins then started up my computer, and i thought it started fast before....wow, like 2 seconds, it was crazy

JavierDiaz4

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Thanks to all members for your memory advice. After reading all of the threads, I just purchase a 3gb kit for my Imac from OWC. Lets see how it goes when it arrives. Goiing from 2 x 516 to 1 x 2gb + 1gb. Lets see how it feels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.