Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Hello my iMac friends,

At the risk of adding yet another thread about memory upgrades,:eek: I wanted to ask for a specific recommendation. I've found looking through the forums a little that each case seems to be unique and memory changes rapidly, making older posts less helpful.

Hardware: I have a 27" Quad core i5 iMac, bought in late July/early August of 2010. I've been doing a little more heavy lifting of late (Photoshop, iMovie) and it's slow on the rendering and redrawing, and I'd like to bump the RAM to speed things up. Before I moved to Macs 5 years ago, I knew enough about PCs to upgrade, but I haven't touched this sort of thing since then, so I'm a little concerned at getting the right components.

My question: Could some kind soul please point me to exactly the sort of RAM they'd buy in my place (bearing in mind I'd need to have it delivered to Ontario, Canada) to punch this machine to either 8 or 16 GB RAM?

My thanks in advance...

Nov 28, 2010
located
You need 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules (1066 MHz or 1333 MHz is up to you), available for 40 USD and less for two 4 GB modules, thus 16 GB should cost less than 100 USD.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you. In your opinion, does brand matter much? I could get memory of this type from "G.Skill" or "Patriot". I really know nothing about the reliability of these names though.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you. In your opinion, does brand matter much? I could get memory of this type from "G.Skill" or "Patriot". I really know nothing about the reliability of these names though.

I have no-name modules in my Macs, and they still work after one year and after four years.
G.Skill and Patriot are reputable names. Just get the RAM with the best warranty and the easiest return mechanism, in case the RAM is DOA.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
crucial are top notch, never had any problem with them.

Thank you, but to get those, I'd need to mail order and that makes any returns a pain. In spite of the quality record, it's less hassle to deal locally with the brands I can lay my hands on in brick & mortar stores.

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Thank you, but to get those, I'd need to mail order and that makes any returns a pain. In spite of the quality record, it's less hassle to deal locally with the brands I can lay my hands on in brick & mortar stores.

In the UK i can't think of any store that would stock RAM :/
I can 99% guarantee you won't have any problems with crucial though.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
FYI just by way of follow up, I went to Canada Computers and they sold me an upgrade 'kit' containing two 8gig DIMM chips for 120 bucks CDN (that's about what I expected... if it's 100 USD it'll have that markup here... stupid when the dollar's at parity, but what're you going to do?). The memory is the G. Skill kind. I got home and after a very simple install, I now have 16gig. The iMac seems to have no issues as yet, and at the risk of using a really tired adjective, it does seem 'snappier'. :D

Thank you all for your kind counsel. Now I can make use of the 64-bit capabilties of OSX better. Not that I'm currently aware how to do this. :rolleyes: I assume it'll just use the memory it has.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.