imac memory upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eddieblock, Dec 25, 2009.

1. eddieblock macrumors member

hi there, hopefully someone can help ? i,m about to upgrade the memory on my imac and i was wondering if i need to remove the memory that,s allready installed and simply swap it over or do i leave it in and add to it ? i have an imac 2.4ghz intel core2 duo with 2gb of 667mhz ddr2 sdram. i,ve ordered a 4gb kit (2 x 2gb) thanx for any help you can give ! happy xmas

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Your iMac only has 2 memory slots so yes, you will have to remove the 2x1GB sticks that are currently in there.

I would keep them as backup just in case your 4GB kit goes bad. They're not worth much anyway so it's not worth selling them off.

3. eddieblock thread starter macrumors member

hi thanx for the reply. so it would be a straight swap ? nothing will be lost from the memory of my imac ?

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yep, straight swap. Nothing will be lost on your computer. Just make sure you do it while your iMac is off!

5. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I have a 24 imac alu and want to upgrade the RAM... and I would like to know about the Quality of RAM... I see a lot of cheap memory...

I want to know if there is a lot of change in performance with good memory...

6. eddieblock thread starter macrumors member

yes. thanx mate. apreciate your help. happy xmas and have a good new year

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just make sure it is the right specs otherwise the cheap stuff is just as good as the expensive stuff.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

That's likely true...if it works. The problem, in my experience building many, many PC's, is that the cheap memory has a significantly higher-than-normal failure rate since the prime cost-cutting measure those cheap RAM vendors take is lack of quality control. I'd get reputable RAM from Crucial or MacSales.

9. eddieblock thread starter macrumors member

glad you said crucial ! it,s where i bought mine from !

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

When I bought the RAM to upgrade my iMac and MBP I did a bit of research and the consensus was that Crucial was the way to go. The majority opinion was to stay away from Kingston and cheaper RAM.

11. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Crucial use here, too!

Good stuff, lifetime warranty, and very fast shipping. A lot of people here recommend Newegg as well. I've never tried them as Crucial has always been good to me.
    I've never needed to use their warranty, either.

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

Yeh, never had a bad stick of RAM from Crucial.

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Chiming in just to say that I always buy crucial memory because their RAM has worked flawlessly for me in the past.

14. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I always go with the cheapest RAM that has 5 eggs in the customer reviews with at least 30 people rating the product on Newegg.com and never had a faulty module and I have ordered many this way.

15. eddieblock thread starter macrumors member

update

just a quick update. memory came this morning and I fitted it with no problems at all ! thanx for everyones help and advice. happy new year to you all !