Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappySnail

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2008
I was looking at upgrading my 2Gb iMac memory but i'm not sure about who i should buy it from. The official Apple store 4Gb memory is £198 compared to all the other sites i looked at which range from £30 to £60. This is a ridiculous price difference. The problem is these sites have nothing to do with Apple and there is no garentee that the memory will work. http://www.crucial.com was the main site i looked at and seemed legitimate enough.I was wondering 2 things.

1. Why is the apple memory so much more expensive, is it just a massive markup or is it faster/higher quality?
2. has anyone used these sites, do you think there ok?

iamvexed

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
I JUST upgraded to 4GB in my iMac (last night), and my wife got me the memory from Other World Computing (which also offers fantastic prices). She got me samsung memory, which was a little more expensive than OWC's, and entertainingly enough, my iMac had samsung memory in it from the factory. There's really no need to buy from Apple when there are places from which you can get it much cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.