iMac menu bar slow response

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ringolad, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ringolad macrumors newbie

Since installing office 2011 for mac and then the update my menu bar is slow to respond to mouse clicks.

When I go to the menu bar with the mouse and click it, there is a delay of up to 3 seconds before the sub menu shows.

This only occurs in the account which was active when I installed the program and all the other users still have a full functioning menu bar.

I tried removing the program completely but the menu bar still does not respond as the other users accounts.

System OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8
    Imac intel core duo with 2GB Ram

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Do you have any external devices like hard drives connected?

3. ringolad, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

ringolad thread starter macrumors newbie

No, there are no external drives connected.

USB Keyboard connected for when using windows and wireless keyboard for OSX. I have tried disconnecting each of these to no avail.

I have reinstalled mac OSX snow leopard and the 10.6.8 update.

The user is logged in as Administrator

The other users are unaffected by the menu bar problem and if I create a new account this is also unaffected.

My only thought, is to completely delete the affected account and then reinstate it as a new user/administrator. Although this will involve entering all the passwords and all such info again. I would have liked to just replace the affected file if this is the case.

Also tried rebooting the PRAM and removed the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

No one knows what the affected file(s) is yet. If you are cool with it, just create and use a fresh account.

5. LPZ, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

LPZ macrumors 65816

Does this happen only when Finder is the active app, ie, right after you click on the Desktop? Or does it happen too when another app is the active one?

Does it matter which menu bar item you click on? ie, File, Edit Help

My first thought is a corrupted plist file in the account that is affected.

6. ringolad thread starter macrumors newbie

IMAC menu bar slow response

The problem occurs in any menu selected in the menu bar even if using quark or adobe menus.

Would removing all plist files in the user account and restarting cause any problems?

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

Don't know, probably not. But I'd just create a new user account instead, in that case.

What about third-party plugins? Anything on the affected account but not on the others?

You mentioned that you tried to remove (and reinstall) Office. Did you use a Microsoft Office uninstaller (if they provide one)? If not, and one exists, I'd try uninstalling again.

Not much else comes to mind. Creating a clean admin account might be the best solution.

8. ringolad thread starter macrumors newbie

Imac Menu Bar slow response

Microsoft did not have an uninstaller so I used the method stated to remove all files manually.

Regarding user accounts the main user account is the only one affected. This is an administrator account.

I am going to delete this and start afresh.

Thanks for the advice.

9. ringolad thread starter macrumors newbie

IMAC menu bar slow response

I deleted the user account and created new one in same name. All menu bar functions have returned to normal.

I will not be reinstalling Microsoft word for Mac 2011 on that account. However, I will install it on another new user account to see if I can recreate the problem.