iMac mid 2007 20" SSD upgrade project

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bregmanr, Oct 13, 2013.

1. bregmanr macrumors newbie

I own 3 identical iMac's mid-2007 4GB Ram 320GB HD. One of these iMac's has a bad HDD so I decided to upgrade to SSD. Purchased this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ1045276 and installed it in the iMac - I believe my iMac does not recognize this drive. I reached this conclusion by switching a hard drive from my other working iMac and the defective iMac started fine. Took the SSD to the other iMac (the one that was working fine before I removed the working HDD) and again - iMac doesn't start (I have a thumb drive with bootable system plugged in to a USB port and I hold the "OPTION" button when I start the iMac).

Can someone tell me how do I find out if this Samsung SSD is causing this problem and if these is a way to "cause" the iMac to recognize this SSD?

Thank you in advance.

Ron

2. steve2237 macrumors newbie

This sounds really similar to an unsolved problem I'm having. I have the same SSD, but the 250gb version, and when it is installed in my iMac, nothing happens when I hit the power button. What are the symptoms when you hit your power button?

I'm going to borrow a usb-sata cable so I can plug the SSD into a running computer and try formatting it tonight. I'll keep you updated!

3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Do you have an OS X disc that will allow you to boot into Disk Utility? You may need to initialize the drive and then format it to HFS and partition it first.

4. bregmanr thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an operating USB drive with the latest operating system. The iMac doesn't allow me to choose this drive - I turn the iMac ON and hold the "Options" key but it doesn't allow me to choose the USB to boot the iMac. Maybe I should look for a way to format the new SSD to HFS using another iMac by connecting it to an available USB port? How do I connect the SATA drive to a USB port? Thank you again. Ron

----------

Hi, all I get is a white screen - nothing happens after that. I switched the SSD drive with another (working properly on the "other, donor" iMac) and the iMac that I am trying to install the SSD into came back to life. I old, PC days I would say that the BiOS doesn't recognize the SSD size/type. Any other ideas? Thank you. Ron

----------

Can I create a cd on an a working iMac? I don't know how to create such a disk and the type (cd / dvd / what size?) and any hint will be greatly appreciated.

5. Johnf1285, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

In my past experience the OS X restore disc for that specific machine works best (it has the basic drivers to boot the machine). The other option is a more recent OS, I believe Lion will work - however this would need to be on a USB stick. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more information on this!

6. activate macrumors regular

1. What about target disk mode ?
    2. Tried a OS installed USB ? Not a installer

7. bregmanr thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately my operating system is OS X Mountain Lion and I this is what I have on the USB. It doesn't reach the boot-menu that is accessible by pressing the OPTION key at startup. I think the SSD maybe set for Windows operation and will be searching the forums for any help converting the SSD to Apple Operating system. Anyone?

----------

I don't know how to reach the "target disk mode" and if I were to enable it/reach it, will I be able to find the SSD?

Yes, the USB with the OS works and starts my other iMac's.

8. activate macrumors regular

I don't know if target disk will work because of the issues you are experiencing but you will require a firewire cable and link two iMacs together. Then start the troubleshooting mac by holding T. This mac should then show a firewire icon where as the other mac, in the ideal situation should show the drive mounted like any other drive.