iMac (mid-2007) having problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GimmeSlack12, Jul 28, 2015.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

My main machine is a 24" iMac 7,1 and recently the fans have started up after boot up and within 30 minutes the screen goes out. At this point the computer is no operable, I've tried remote network connections and nothing.

I ran the Apple Diagnostics on it and got the code: 4sns/40000000: TGOH.

The last 4 letters there tell the story that its a temperature sensor on the GPU. Is it worth buying a new GPU and installing it? They run around $250 and I just don't know if I care. Probably time to get a 5k right? Riiight???? ;)

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Not worth it. Your iMac is 8 years old and outdated. I have a Mid 2007 iMac 20.5" myself that I upgraded a couple years ago with SSD & RAM. Should anything fail on it now, I would replace it instead of investing any money into it. I would be surprised if I could even get $250 for mine. If you can afford a new one, it may be time to consider it.

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Yes, if you can afford a nice 5k iMac, then go for it...

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah, I'm kind of proud of that actually. I have upgraded this machine to a 128gb SSD and 6gb of RAM (beyond the stated 4gb max).

But I got my value out of it. I'm waiting to see what the deal is with iMac rumors on the end of the year. Until then I have my MBPr from work that I don't mind lugging around too much. Until then, I'll see how my iPad Air 2 handles being my primary machine at home.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Good luck and I hope the right deal comes along for you. I am fortunate enough to have a second iMac (late 2012). My 07' iMac is what my wife uses and does not need anything extreme as she is a very light user. She really likes it and finds it plenty fast. To get 8 years out of any computer I think is quite an achievement these days.

6. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Even with the upgrades, $250 could get you a working 2007 iMac, or maybe even one a little bit newer. I'd get a new Mac; however, if you don't want to suddenly drop a lot of money on a computer, you COULD removal your upgrades from your iMac, sell the thing for parts, and then get a similar used system. Of course, that would be dropping a bit of money on something old and used - something that wouldn't last a person too long.

7. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Congrats on getting 8 years out of that thing, though. I'm a bit proud of using an original 17" iMac G5 from when it first came out (late 2004, I believe), up until 2010, when I received am upgrade--a 2005 iMac G5 iSight 20". I didn't have an Intel machine until 2012.

8. sebastius macrumors newbie

Look in your area for someone to reflow your GPU board. Should fix the problem for a few monthd to a few years :)

I do these regularly.

9. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

My mid 07 21" imac's still going mostly strong...after an upgrade with a 512gb ssd and maxed the ram. Made some difference, but it really needs to be upgraded. If I was running just Yosemite, it would be fine, but parallels running 8 or 10 brings it to its knees. 16GB ram next time as well. I'll stretch it at least another year then look at the retina imac, refurbished to save some $$$. I did have to replace the power controller under warranty once while I was in Japan, was that a pain.