iMac Mid 2007 RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LeeSampson101, May 11, 2014.

1. LeeSampson101 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I just bought my first Mac, a second hand iMac mid 2007. I've been using it got a few weeks and it seems abit slow, everything works fine but it's not as quick an fluid as the ones I have in the electrical store I work in. It currently haS 2GB of RAM and with the Utility manager says I'm constantly using 1.99 GB of ram. If I upgrade to 4gb will it improve? Also I run a YouTube channel so am planning on buying Final Cut Pro. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

which OS are you running ?

2 GB is ok for Snow Leopard, but for Lion and later, 4 GB is much much better.

Your model can run Mavericks, and can use up to 6 GB of RAM.

3. LeeSampson101 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using mavericks, according to the system scanner I used my mac will only take 4gb tops

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes it is "officially" 4 GB, but it actually can use 6 GB (see Mactracker infos).

Clearly, 2 GB is not enough for Mavericks.

[​IMG]

5. LeeSampson101 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that was the problem, I thought they put a limit on them that they won't support higher?

6. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Nope, they only claim that 4 GB is the max, but really you can add up to 6 GB and everything will work perfectly fine. Also, like most people will say on these forums, add an SSD. The speed increase will be like night and day.