imac mid-2010 16 gb memory

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alfansome, Dec 29, 2012.

1. alfansome macrumors member

I have mid 2010 iMac (11,3) and was trying to install 2 Patriot 8 gb memory modules (PSA316G1333SK). After installing when I boot machine it only reports 4 gb memory, so I guess its only using 2 gb from each module. Does this make any sense? It does this whether the 2 modules are in the upper or lower slots.

2. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

That doesn't make sense, no. Chances are it's only recognizing one module, and the other isn't functioning correctly. Please do this for me:

Go into System Profiler or System Information (depending on OS version) by clicking on the Apple menu, holding down option, and selecting the first item in the menu.

Click on Memory in the list on the left (you may have to click the arrow next to "Hardware" to see this option).

How much memory does it report each BANK has? It'll be in the second column.

3. alfansome thread starter macrumors member

it reports just 2gb in each. The detailed info is:

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 2 GB
    Type: DDR3
    Speed: 1333 MHz
    Manufacturer: 0x80AD
    Part Number: 0x484D54333235533642465238432D48392020
    Serial Number: 0x584D1CAC

BANK 1/DIMM0:

Size: 2 GB
    Type: DDR3
    Speed: 1333 MHz
    Manufacturer: 0x80AD
    Part Number: 0x484D54333235533642465238432D48392020
    Serial Number: 0x585D1CAB

4. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Very strange. Those appear to be 2 GB modules. What you purchased should have been a pair of 8GB modules though, so I'm at a loss. The only possibility I can think of is that somehow you got the wrong modules. You may want to try asking for replacements.

5. alfansome thread starter macrumors member

I think I will end up returning them, although they have the correct identification on them (2x8GB Kit). I've attached an image - you can make out the 2x8GB Kit lettering just above the RoHS Compliant.

Originally the imac was populated with 4 2gb modules. I removed all of them and installed the 2 new ones in the upper slots (upper that is with the computer display panel face down on a towel). I then also tried them in the lower slots. Was this correct? or should they be in the same "bank"? or does it matter? (instructions I found on Apple support site indicated either upper or lower slots).

Is there some bios setting that prevents more than 2gb memory access from a module? (grasping at straws here).

Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Attached Files:

6. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Come to think of it, they probably don't let you use 8GB modules. Your model's maximum capacity is 16GB as advertised by Apple. It's possible it has problems with 8GB modules. You may want to try 4x4GB. I'd call Apple to verify. They'd know better than I would.

7. alfansome thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the official line is that this model doesn't support more than 16gb total or 8gb modules, but there are a number of reports from users that they have installed 8gb modules and as much as 32gb of memory. For example: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4241780?tstart=0 (I added my problem into this thread also, but didn't get any useful responses)

Anyway, I did return the modules. Pricewise, the 4gb modules are not very good deals, so I'll just stick with the 8gb I have for now.