iMac mid 2010 8 GB RAM, quad 2.93GHz i7 27" reliability

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SWin, Jan 17, 2013.

1. SWin macrumors newbie

:mad: Just trying to get a handle on the reliability of 27" iMacs to compare with my own experience.
    I've had 3 major issues after only just over 2 year of ownership (luckily I bought the AppleCare extended warranty).
    1. HD - 1TB (crashed) and screen issues (yellow tinge) after one month - both replaced.
    2. HD - 1TB crashed after approx. 1 year - replaced with a 2 TB because of zero stock and possible 6m wait (after serious haggling)
    3. Screen crash - just replaced

The iMac has been in the service center for more time than my car has been off-road in the same period (only routine servicing)!!!!
    Believe poor reliability is related to the special build (upgraded processor and ram when initially ordered)
    Have discussed with first level of Customer Relations (CR) who insist this is an isolated case. I think I've got a lemon and am concerned about the cost of repairs when the warranty runs. CR are adamant that they cannot extend the warranty.

ANY comments ??

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

A single experience is not indicative of overall reliability. For example, I haven't had anything done with my 2009 i7 iMac.

Generally speaking, Apple hardware gets very good marks from publications like Consumer Reports that get feedback from thousands of customers on their experiences.

If on the other hand the experience with your iMac has soured you on it, then you might want to move on to a Windows or Linux machine.

It is true that Macs are very expensive to service... which is why quite a few folks will flip their Mac while it is still under Apple Care and worth top dollar, versus keeping the machine long term and having to potentially pay for repairs out of pocket.

3. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

no experience of that machine

However, i would, in your situation be asking for a replacement machine, or escalating your concerns in writing to the relevant department.

I would be unhappy. and would want it resolved before the Applecare runs out, Mostly I would be pissed off with not having use of my iMac while these repairs were being carried out. Perhaps even a refurb model would be better.

I would assume, that your problems will continue.

Either that or sell it and buy a similar model that may not be a lemon. You shouldn't lose any money that way, but i would feel sorry for the person who buys it!

4. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I don't have experience with a 27" iMac but...

I agree with the request for a replacement. My story:

My original teal iMac died five weeks in, took it for repair at a 3rd party repair site. They held onto it for weeks lying to me about waiting for parts. Called Apple and started a case, eventually spoke to a Senior Customer Care rep who guaranteed in writing that if anything went wrong within 30 days of the 3rd party repair, Apple would replace with a brand new iMac.

When the machine was finally repaired, 28 days later there were issues. Called that Apple Senior repair rep and got a brand new replacement. This was back in 1999, but it's one the reasons why I've stuck with Apple all these years.

If I were the OP, I would politely make my case with a Senior repair rep to ensure you get a replacement machine. I wish you all the best.