iMac mid 2010 crashing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ruvil, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ruvil macrumors regular

Hello

I have an iMac mid 2010 that i bought around february this year. Yesterday i decided to upgrade the RAM to 12 Gb because of Lion :)

Somehow, it keeps crasching from time to time. Since yesterday - about three or four times. It just hangs and i can't move the mouse or type with my keyboard.

The RAM i bought was a couple of Corsair 2x4GB (CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9).

If I'm not mistaken - people have had problems with some kind of amount of RAM. Does anyone have any idea what the problem can be?

2. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

When you say crash are you getting a kernel panic, is everything frozen, or does it just lag i.e. you are typing on the keyboard and then it stops typing and suddenly catches up?

3. ruvil thread starter macrumors regular

Everything just freezes, no kernel panics, no errors in the logs. Just a total freeze.

I just removed one of the two memory sticks that i installed just to see if they could have caused that error and since the freezes just happen at random i guess i'll just have to wait.

4. Euclid100 macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem and described it in this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1112660

Did you change anything in the meanwhile? I don't know if replacing my Crosair RAM with a new set will fix the problem or if it's just Crosair that is not very reliable with MBP 2011?

5. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Remove "additional" installed RAM. If system continues to crash / hang, then its probably from Lion. If system NO longer crashes / hangs, than problem is probably from the new RAM.

As someone stated above, "convert back" to when the iMac was stable. Then, add "little changes" at a time - to confirm what is killing the machine.

6. Euclid100 macrumors newbie

The apple stock RAM works as expected. No more crashes. Returned the Crosair RAM and waiting for a replacement now. I guess quality control for consumer RAM is to wish for.