iMac (mid 2010) won't shut off or restart

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Braczav, May 15, 2012.

1. Braczav macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm having two problems with my iMac (Mid 2010).
    Mac OS X Lion Version 10.7.4
    Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz Ram

The first problem is that starting this past weekend my iMac is having trouble shutting down and restarting. The shutting down process will make it as far as the grey screen with the spinning wheel, and it will just keep spinning. It may have started having this problem after I installed the most recent updates for OS X

What I have tried so far:

1. I have tried leaving the computer at the grey screen all day (8 + hours). I have tried shutting it down in the morning and letting it do it's thing. When I return home in the evening it will still be spinning on the grey screen

2. Doing a hard shut down by holding the power button down. This works in the moment but doesn't solve my problem. When I turn the computer back on and try to turn it off again the computer returns to the grey screen and continues to spin.

3. I have tried shutting down all programs before shutting the computer down. This works sometimes. Other times this doesn't work and the computer stays on the grey screen.

My second problem is that my iMac is no longer recognizing my MBox mini which I use to record on Pro Tools le 8. This problem started this morning.

What I have tried so far:

1. Restart the computer. Sometimes this works for a minute or two. The computer recognizes the MBox Mini, then the computer makes a quite screeching sound and stops recognizing the MBox Mini.

2. I tried to upload new drivers, but the drivers are all current according to the website.

3. I have tried replacing the USB cord. This had the same effect as #1.

These two problems may or may not be related. I'd appreciate any suggestions that you can give me.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account, when all other accounts are logged off?
    Check the Console for hints.

3. Braczav thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no luck

So I created another login and shut down my iMac. I got the same results. The screen turned grey and the wheel continued to spin for a while before I tried a hard shut down. I looked at the console log but I'm not really sure what to look for.

As for my 2nd problem, I unplugged my MBox mini and plugged it back in. When I plugged the MBox back in it worked for about 10 seconds, then the speakers made a clicking sound and iMac stopped recognizing the MBox mini. The console log displayed this message.

5/16/12 9:44:39.000 PM kernel: USBF: 1000.133 [0xffffff800a976400] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfd100000)
    5/16/12 9:44:39.000 PM kernel: USBF: 1000.133 [0xffffff800a976400] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

How do interpret this log?

Thanks for your help.