iMac mid 2011 - External monitor and SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kibato, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Kibato macrumors newbie

Hello,

our mid 2011 21,5" iMac (16GB RAM) is very slow because of the internal HDD. At the moment an external monitor is plugged in via the only thunderbolt port.
    Now I would like to upgrade the Mac with an external 250GB SSD:
    Case: Amazon Link
    SSD: Amazon Link

Is it somehow possible to install an external SSD and a monitor at the same time?

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

If you can find a Thunderbolt enclosure with dual TB ports, you're in business; your external monitor goes at the end of the chain.

Failing that (since you don't have USB3), you'll have to forego the external monitor when you want to use the external SSD, unless you are willing to spring for one of those pricey TB docks by CalDigit, Belkin, Elgato etc.

3. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Why bother with externals?? Just make it internal... Doesn't it have an extra SATA slot??

4. Kyle-K, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Unfortunately, You'll be looking at in closures for 3.5 hard drives, as all the enclosures I've seen for 2.5 only have one thunderbolt port. Also most of the 3.5 external enclosures on the market will support more than one drive it's hard to find single drive solutions with multiple thunderbolt ports that will allow you to put your own hard drives or SSDs in.

There is a couple of 3.5 external single hard drive enclosures that have multiple thunderbolt ports but they are going to have a drive pre-installed.

That's correct in most cases 2011 iMac's have a unused SATA port available, unless you ordered an SSD at original purchase. You can also do a DIY Fusion Drive, Which is probably a good option with the size of SSD you have chosen if you decide to go the internal route.

To get some idea of what will be involved here is some instructional videos from OWC which also sells the kit required to do this.

Instructional videos for iMac Mid-2011: 27 or 21.5

5. macs4nw, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

You are right about that, and that was the reason I started out with "If", because I have looked for 2.5" SSD enclosures with two TB ports myself, and have not been able to find them either.

Thankfully all the newer Macs, with the exception of the MBA, have at least two TB ports.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote above:
    [[ our mid 2011 21,5" iMac (16GB RAM) is very slow because of the internal HDD. ]]

Question:
    Which version of the OS are you running?

7. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

It is indeed very disappointing, I wish there was more options out there too.

Personally I'm still waiting for the Sonnet "Echo 15+ Thunderbolt Dock" but that still looks like that's another broken promise as we didn't get updates and they've missed the latest deadline. Going to have to start looking at other options here.