iMac mid 2011 is it still worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Escritor, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Escritor macrumors newbie

Hi Sirs/Ma'am,

I got a good offer from a close friend of mine towards iMac MC309

Apple iMac MC309LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop

He is offering me a brand new unit of the said item for only $965.

I am considering it because upon checking in both authorized apple resellers and black market, so far it is the cheapest offer I got.

I am primarily going to use it on the following:

1. Office work (Microsoft Office & iwork)
    2. uTorrent
    3. Web Browsing
    4. DOTA 2 & Diablo 3
    5. Adobe Photoshop (basic brightness and contrast)
    6. iMovie (basic 2-3 minutes presentation)

My question would be, given the price, and the specifications of the unit, and lastly with the new iMac (Oct 2013). Is it still worth it to purchase this model at its price?

I am not really a techy guy , and I don't need a super fast computer. My usage is as follows:

a. 2-3 hours/daily: FB, Twitter, surfing
    b. 3-4 hours/daily: DOTA 2
    c. 5-8 hours/daily: downloading (utorrent) while sleeping at night.

I hope someone out there can help me out so that I can decide as soon as possible.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I picked up that same computer on Craigslist back in March for $800, so I'd say that $965 is quite pricey for what you're getting. If you can talk him down to $700-800, then I'd go for it. They're still great computers!

Also, this should be posted in the iMac forum, or the Marketplace - this forum is dedicated to discussion of PowerPC-based Macs. Just FYI :)

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well.

You are asking your question in a PowerPC Mac forum. A mid 2011 Mac anything will be an Intel Mac. You would probably be better served re-asking your question in one of the Intel Mac forums here on Macrumors.

Seeing as the youngest of the PowerPC Macs are circa 2006, what answer are you expecting from all of us users of ancient PowerPC machines?

4. tampasteve macrumors 6502

For a local pickup/friend I think they are asking to much. Ebay lists similarly equipped models of that same iMac as having sold between $610 and $1K. But it should be more than adequate for what you are going to use it for.

5. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

What does "brand new" mean? Was it just now purchased and still under warranty? Or has it just been sitting in a box for two years in your friend's closet?

For less than $100 more, you can get a late 2012 model from Apple's refurbished page. You'd get a one year warranty with the option to extend two years with Apple Care just like you would if you were purchasing new. For less than $200 more, you can get a 27'' 2011 model.

If you like all-in-ones, any of these would be more than enough for what you describe. It's difficult to add ram to the late 2012 21.5 inch model, but the 8GB included should be enough for you for a while. If the one from your friend does not include a warranty, then the ones from Apple clearly become the better value since they're already better models.

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I think that's too much, even if it is brand new never opened. If your friend is not an Apple Authorized Reseller, then keep in mind that the 1-year warranty period has already started and may even be over. The warranty starts when the computer is purchased from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller, NOT when it is opened out of the box.

Get the serial number from your friend and run it here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

If you want a 21.5 inch, I would say spend a little over $300 more for a 2013 model from MacMall.com. They don't charge tax or shipping, and I've gotten them to include free priority overnight shipping multiple times by calling in.

For $324 more you get a 2-year newer computer, the latest model that just came out, with a full 1-year warranty (and eligible for AppleCare Extended Warranty), MUCH improved graphics, USB 3.0 ports (vs USB 2.0), twice the RAM for better multitasking (8GB vs 4GB), twice the storage space (1TB vs 500GB), faster WiFi networking (802.11ac vs 802.11n) and more. Also, it sheds over 8 pounds so it is much lighter and easier to carry.

Even a late 2012 model as mentioned by Swampus would be a much better purchase than the 2011. It is essentially the same exact specs as the 2013 I mentioned, but last year's processor + graphics, and 802.11n instead of 802.11ac.

7. tampasteve macrumors 6502

As mentioned, spending the about $100 more for a newer model from Apple with a warranty is the better deal. Spending $300 (or more) is just to much more in this price range, IMO. We are talking about a jump of about 30% the OP's price to go that much more.

But the best deal (IMO) would be to get your friend into to $650-$700 range. They are selling on Ebay for that low.

8. Escritor thread starter macrumors newbie

but is compared to the new Iris pro graphics does it really perform better than the AMD Radeon 6750M?

Iris pro graphics vs. AMD Radeon 6750M?

I believe that is the entry level of the new iMac

entry level of mid 2011 iMac vs. entry level of Late 2013 iMac

in terms of performance on games?

thanks in advance?

the reason why I asked this is the fact that I believe it is still better to have a dedicated GPU right?

9. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Not necessarily. Intel's dedicated graphics, from what I understand, have improved quite a bit on Haswell. See Anand's review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7399/...3-review-iris-pro-driving-an-accurate-display

I was in a similar situation last year, but with a 2010 machine. Got one off Craigslist for $750, and that was for the up-spec ($1500 when new) model. I'd say $965 is too much.

10. Escritor thread starter macrumors newbie

Since you went for a 2010 model, question is, does it satisfy your needs even thoughthere are new models this oct. 2013?

And if i will be able to get it at a lower price will it suffice my needs?

11. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I've got a 2010 21.5" with the 3.2 i3 in it, which I then modified by replacing the 1TB HD with a 120GB SSD (the HD is in an external enclosure and serves as my Time Machine drive). For what I do which is pretty basic stuff (the exception being running MatLab for grad school), the machine is great. Very snappy performance due to the SSD compared with running everything off of a hard drive. I also put an extra 4GB of RAM in it for a total of 8. My machine is faster than a current base iMac; you'd have to at least spring for a Fusion Drive to have something as quick or faster.

Which is why, when I was looking to buy last year about this time and waiting for the redesigned iMac, I opted for this used machine instead. When the iMac was first released in November of last year, you couldn't get the base machine with a Fusion Drive or even a pure SSD; you had to buy the $1500 model and then spend extra to get either of those options. So I got the used machine instead of buying new for a lot less (~$1000 roughly) and performed the surgery myself, and ended up with an iMac that runs great and will hopefully last a good 3 years more.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look to get a 2011 Sandy Bridge iMac, and throw a 240GB (or greater) SSD in there. The 240GB and above SSDs are generally faster (in both read and write) than the smaller ones. And the 2011 iMacs use SATA III (6GB/s) connectors. Finally, it also has Thunderbolt if you need really fast I/O.

12. Escritor thread starter macrumors newbie

sir todd based on my usage below:

I am primarily going to use it on the following:

1. Office work (Microsoft Office & iwork)
    2. uTorrent
    3. Web Browsing
    4. DOTA 2 & Diablo 3
    5. Adobe Photoshop (basic brightness and contrast)
    6. iMovie (basic 2-3 minutes presentation)

My question would be, given the price, and the specifications of the unit, and lastly with the new iMac (Oct 2013). Is it still worth it to purchase this model at its price?

I am not really a techy guy , and I don't need a super fast computer. My usage is as follows:

a. 2-3 hours/daily: FB, Twitter, surfing
    b. 3-4 hours/daily: DOTA 2
    c. 5-8 hours/daily: downloading (utorrent) while sleeping at night.

and based on your advice, it is safe to say that this mid 2011 entry level machine is more than enough for my needs?

thanks in advance

13. zackkmac, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

zackkmac macrumors 6502a

The 2011 will handle those tasks fine, but not for as long as a 2012 or 2013 would in the future. HOWEVER, I would not go with the 2011 model you are being offered simply because it's priced too high, and the warranty status is going to be a mess if your friend cannot provide Apple with a proof of purchase.

As others are saying, go for the 2012 refurbished model. It is a great deal and will be much of an improvement over the 2011, especially if you are going to keep it for a while.

Even though I personally mentioned the 2013, it is 30% higher than the 2011 you are pricing, so if that's too high then that's understandable and hence my vote goes to the 2012. But, if you have the money for it and are planning on keeping this iMac for the long haul, the 2013 is the better choice as the graphics are much improved with this model and it will be "future-proofed" for a little longer than the 2012. By that I mean that future versions of Mac OS X software will support the 2013 model longer than the 2012, and it will run better than the 2012 as it gets older.

Also, what others have forgot to mention is that there is some tax included on the 2012 if you buy it from Apple. My personal total was $1141 shipped to my door when I priced it just now. The 2013 iMac from MacMall is $1289 total, so the difference to go from the 2012 model to the 2013 model is only $148.

Both the 2012 and the 2013 are great choices. My pick is the 2013 if it's a long-term purchase, but either one is fine for your needs. And I would highly recommend not choosing the 2011. :)

14. tampasteve macrumors 6502

No, not at the price offered. The price really needs to be between $650 and $750 for it to be a decent deal. If your friend wont go down to that you would be better to just buy the same model off Ebay.

Yes, it is fine for your needs as stated.

15. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Yes I think the 2011 is plenty for what you need it for, but I agree with other posters here that the price is a bit high. I would look to buy new if you have the extra cash, or hunt around for a better deal if you're cheap like me. :D

16. Escritor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the concise replies sirs

one last question

the entry level of the late 2013 imac is with an Iris Pro Graphics,

is it really stronger than the AMD Radeon 6750M (2011) and HD 4000 (late 2012)?

and can it handle DOTA 2 and Diablo 3 in high settings? thanks a lot

17. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

The Iris Pro in the 2013 will be a lot more capable than your other two choices, because it's a big step ahead in power. I believe it will handle both games on high settings just fine. As for the Intel HD graphics (3000 for 2011 and 4000 for 2012), they may require some tweaking of the settings and probably not running the game at the fullest "high" settings to get them to run fine.