Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfanboy1001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Would it be possible to swap out a i5 processor for a i7 processor after your warranty runs out?

Thanks

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Would it be possible to swap out a i5 processor for a i7 processor after your warranty runs out?

In 2 - 3 years, there will be a new series of processor much faster than the i7, it won't be worth the effort or cost to upgrade your existing machine for only 20% performance gain, when the new processors might be 50% - 100% faster.

macfanboy1001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
In 2 - 3 years, there will be a new series of processor much faster than the i7, it won't be worth the effort or cost to upgrade your existing machine for only 20% performance gain, when the new processors might be 50% - 100% faster.

Good point, I was just wondering if the motherboard's are the same in the 27" base models as the higher end models that come with the i7 processor's. In a couple of years you should be able to pick up a i7 processor for pretty cheap and get a few more years out of your iMac.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.