iMac Mid 2011 SATA Speed limited to 3 Gigabit

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nesha, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Nesha macrumors newbie

Recently i have installed SSD from OWC - Mercury Electra 6G SSD

I was expecting speeds about 500 MB/s
    but here is what i got instead:
    [​IMG]

Here is what i have in system info:
    [​IMG]

All is declared to 6 Gigabit but somehow i still heve 3 Gigabit speed.

I saw on some links that i should upgrade firmware with this:
    Code:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1380?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    but when i try to run this firmware i receive msg: "This software is not supported on your system."

Please advice me is there any fix that i can apply to get 6 Gigabit instead of 3 ?

2. simsaladimbamba

You can use the following applications to benchmark the speed of your SSD, to see, if BMST is reporting correctly.

3. Nesha thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is Xbench output
    [​IMG]

For some reason i am not able to test using AJA System Test, it does not let me to select my SSD (only my old HDD), also video card is not listed :
    [​IMG]

Also here is what i found about my iMac model:
    *As shipped, these models only supported the 3 Gb/s Serial ATA 2.0 standard for both a 3.5" hard drive and a 2.5" SSD. However, as first discovered by site sponsor OWC, the iMac EFI Update 1.6, released two days later, quietly provided 6 Gb/s Serial ATA 3.0 support.

source:
    Code:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-3.1-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

4. Nesha thread starter macrumors newbie

I got great support from OWC and here is my result with QuickBench software. I guess it was only problem how i measured speed
    [​IMG]

I have great speed up in boot time from 1 min and 18 sec to only 25 sec, so i guess that's it :)

Regards