iMac mid 2011 vs late 2012

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pierreluc102, May 5, 2013.

1. pierreluc102 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to Apple's world, and I used to be a ardent Windows defender! Working in the IT industry and all!

I switched to a iMac very recently, bought it used on Kijiji, very good machine, i5 2.5, 8gb memory 1333mhz, ati radeon 6750m 512mo, 500go hdd 7200rpm.

My main question is... Is it worth selling this machine to upgrade to the late 2012 model?

Please don't hate, but I am a gamer at heart, and I can't simply stop gaming on my computer! So far, I am not too displeased with my iMac gaming performance (I.E Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, WoW, Stronghold3, Alien Swarm, CSGO, and much more). Is it worth it to upgrade my iMac for the late 2012 model with the GT650m video card?

My other question would be, can my iMac overheat from playing video games? I can't seem to find any fans, nor hot air outlets! Thank you!

2. Reevsaj macrumors newbie

If you aren't unhappy with your machine's gaming performance, then why upgrade?

If you want more performance, and you have the cash, go ahead.

Although, perhaps building a separate, dedicated gaming rig could be a less expensive and more future-proof solution.

Edit: I've been playing GW2 on max settings on my machine for a while, as well as Skyrim and other games under bootcamp. While the fans do spin up quite a bit, I've never had a problem with overheating.

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

I would not upgrade to the 650M - not really worth it for you at this point.

The 680MX (or 657 even, without the upgrade) in the top spec 27" is the really significant GPU upgrade, but that is obviously quite an expensive proposition.

If you are happy right now then the 2012 will not offer that much more unless you plump for the really powerful GPU option.

4. pierreluc102 thread starter macrumors newbie

is it me, or we cant upgrade the video card on apple store?

5. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Only the top spec 27" has upgradable GPU. Your choice then is between powerful (675MX) and very powerful (680MX).

All of the other models have only the GPU option it comes with, no upgrade.